Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stephanie Wehner <_...@r4k.net> on 2000/09/24 15:32:46 UTC

cocoon, tomcat and apache UserDir

Hi,

I'd like to use tomcat, apache and cocoon together and still be able
to allow the placement of xml files in a users webdirectory as specfied
in the apache config with UserDir.

Everytime I try to access, say, /~user/foo.xml, tomcat rewrites this to
[tomcat-document-root]/~user/foo.xml. Of course there is no such dir ~user
there, so this fails.

Unfortunately I'm unable to find anything in the cocoon or tomcat docs. I've
already tried posting to the tomcat user mailinglist as well, without success.

Any suggestions ?

bye,
Stephanie
----------------------------<> _@r4k.net <>-----------------<> FreeBSD <>---
<hegemoOn> jx : yeah im a net-monk
<hegemoOn> and i pray every day for the soul of internet    - #unix,07/08/00

Re: cocoon, tomcat and apache UserDir

Posted by Stephanie Wehner <_...@r4k.net>.
On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 05:13:35PM +0200, Uli Mayring wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Stephanie Wehner wrote:
>
> > Everytime I try to access, say, /~user/foo.xml, tomcat rewrites this to
> > [tomcat-document-root]/~user/foo.xml. Of course there is no such dir ~user
> > there, so this fails.
>
> You have to set it up so that you ask Apache for this file, not Tomcat. If
> you have Tomcat on port 8080, you should not ask for
> http://host.com:8080/foo.xml, but for http://host.com/foo.xml, if you have
> Apache installed on port 80. You probably have installed Tomcat as
> stand-alone and are using its internal webserver instead of Apache. Look
> in the Tomcat docs, they explain how to install Tomcat with Apache.

Actually I am using tomcat with apache. And I am accessing
http://host.com/foo.xml which works just fine. However it goes wrong
when I try to access an xml file which is in a user's webdirectory and
not in the main document root.

bye,
@rak

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Stephanie Wehner wrote:

> Everytime I try to access, say, /~user/foo.xml, tomcat rewrites this to
> [tomcat-document-root]/~user/foo.xml. Of course there is no such dir ~user
> there, so this fails.

You have to set it up so that you ask Apache for this file, not Tomcat. If
you have Tomcat on port 8080, you should not ask for
http://host.com:8080/foo.xml, but for http://host.com/foo.xml, if you have
Apache installed on port 80. You probably have installed Tomcat as
stand-alone and are using its internal webserver instead of Apache. Look
in the Tomcat docs, they explain how to install Tomcat with Apache.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung