Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Brian Beggs <bb...@enernoc.com> on 2008/11/19 21:43:50 UTC

JSON support for HBaseRest

I am currently working on adding JSON support to the HBase Rest
implementation.  I wanted to contact the HBase developer community to
see if either something like this was already being worked on and if
this something that the community would be interested in having.

Thanks,

Brian

This email and any information disclosed in connection herewith, whether written or oral, is the property of EnerNOC, Inc. and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
Distributing or copying any information contained in this email to anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

Re: JSON support for HBaseRest

Posted by sishen <si...@gmail.com>.
Agree.

Allow multiple types of content is beneficial.

As you said, we need to seperate the encoder part and also the decode part.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Sounds good to me Brian.
St.Ack

Posted by Michael Gottesman <go...@reed.edu>.
My apologies, I meant to make that a draft and flush that out more later
and by mistake pressed send.

I guess I will do that now.

Basically we could do something like this,

http://tiling.org/thrift/TServlet.java

And change it such that the TProtocol can be inserted when you
instantiate the class.

Thrift already has a JSON Protocol implementation that allows for the
encoding/decoding of thrift messages to/from JSON.

This would allow for easy extension of REST support for xml/other
interfaces by just creating new Thrift Protocols.

It would also allow for the project not to waste energy on mutual
competing REST branches.

Michael

Posted by Michael Gottesman <go...@reed.edu>.

Posted by Michael Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Tom Nichols <tm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Sishen Freecity has been looking after our REST interface of late.  He'd
be the best person to chat with.  From my POV, for sure we'd be
interested.  Someone had begun work on this a while back but it may have
been dropped.  I'd be on for replacing our current XML-based with JSON
if others were OK with that.

Thanks Brian,
St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.
Brian,

Please see:

for earlier work. However Michael has not completed work on
these issues and is not an active participant right now. If
you would like to pick up this work and/or reimplement it or
something similar for HBase trunk, this would be most
appreciated and well received.

   - Andy