Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Leslie Bertels <le...@expandedmedia.com> on 2003/08/11 13:26:32 UTC

foreign characters.

Hi all,

I using poi (1.5.1) to read an Excel file that contains German Characters.
I've written a Class that can be called from the main wich converts the Excel file to an XML structure.

Problem is that when reading a cell that contains ä or ü or any other special character,
the output is not what was originally in the Excelfile.

I'm using the following command:

java -cp /application/WEB-INF/classes/:/applications/WEB-INF/lib/poi-1.5.1.jar: com.xmlutils.ExcelReader glossary.xls output.xml

This call converts the glossary.xls to output.xml and the ü and ä are transformed into square boxes when I open the xml file in XMLSpy.

when I add -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 it gets even worse.
then the sentence is cut off completely at the first special character.

Has anyone ever read Excel files with special characters and came across something similar??
Did anyone find a solution on this issue?
Is this a bug??

Thanks in advance,
Greetz,
Les.

Re: foreign characters.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Actually you need -Dfile.encoding=ISO_8559_1 or something very close to
that.

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi