Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2003/10/15 19:44:53 UTC

Java1.3 (was Re: Axis and NIO)

Kellogg, Richard wrote:
> Question: How much longer do we plan on supporting JDK 1.3.x?  I know we plan on supporting it in Axis 1.2 but what after that release?  Would we gain any performance increases by requiring JDK 1.4.x?  Food for thought.
>
> Rick

That is something the dev team can vote on, though I would encourage an
informal poll of the user list before doing it.

A big issue is what about app servers that use Axis: IBM, Macromedia,
Borland and JBoss will all have opinions on the matter. Unless they want
to move to JAva1.4 only, Axis needs to support 1.3 land for some time more.

On a related note, when can we move to Servlets2.3? I think the extra
lifecycle events would let us do cleanups better, and the JAX-RPC spec
does actually say 'Servlets 2.3'...