Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Boris Garbuzov <bo...@marketingtips.com> on 2002/05/30 00:14:03 UTC

SOAP and HttpUnit

I am evaluating this product to test SOAP communication. Can somebody
comment on its suitability for the purpose? How is it comparing to HttpUnit?
Can I use it to sniff and visualize the traffic? Boris.

RE: SOAP and HttpUnit

Posted by Boris Garbuzov <bo...@marketingtips.com>.
Thanks, Mike. I am just starting to look into your product, so I hardly
understand the extension mechanism. As to comparison with HttpUnit, I better
like writing the Java code or some script then graphically build the
scenario. Is there a way in Jmeter to also avoid GUI driven development?
Boris.

------------------------
You'd need to write a SOAP extension to JMeter, though that wouldn't be
hard, and I'd be willing to do it for you if you help me out.  I could write
the skeleton of what you need, and you fill in the SOAP stuff.  It's about
time JMeter fully supported
SOAP anyway. The biggest difference between JMeter and HttpUnit is that you
"program" JMeter via the GUI, rather than writing Java code.  JMeter has a
proxy server that supports HTTP, recording of browser activity.  This proxy
could easily be the basis for a new proxy that allowed recording of SOAP
activity.  Is this what you meant by "sniff"? JMeter also has visualizers to
represent the test data.  Whether or not they meet your needs is hard to say
since you didn't specify, but I guess the answer is, yes, you can visualize
the traffic :-)
--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org

Re: SOAP and HttpUnit

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
You'd need to write a SOAP extension to JMeter, though that wouldn't be hard, and
I'd be willing to do it for you if you help me out.  I could write the skeleton of what
you need, and you fill in the SOAP stuff.  It's about time JMeter fully supported
SOAP anyway.

The biggest difference between JMeter and HttpUnit is that you "program" JMeter via
the GUI, rather than writing Java code.  JMeter has a proxy server that supports
HTTP, recording of browser activity.  This proxy could easily be the basis for a new
proxy that allowed recording of SOAP activity.  Is this what you meant by "sniff"?

JMeter also has visualizers to represent the test data.  Whether or not they meet
your needs is hard to say since you didn't specify, but I guess the answer is, yes,
you can visualize the traffic :-)

-Mike