Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Raj <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/04 06:16:24 UTC

Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Hi

1. I tried deploying lenya 2.0.5 (build from source) on Tomcat 6.0.
Got tonnes of (exception) errors.Any news to incorporate Tomcat 6.0?,
any pointers ?

2. Deployed pre-complied war of Lenya  1.2.5 on Tomcat 6, and it
worked with charm.

regards

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Thanks Rainer !

But now I have no excuse, I have to test ! :)

++

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@proteosys.com>.

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@proteosys.com>.
Yes, I can share the lenya policy file for Tomcat 5 (not 5.5). However, it is
not complete, since I gave up at some point and simply switched the security
manager off.

I'm not sure where to put it, maybe someone can suggest a location?

 Rainer

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Florent André wrote:

 > On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:24:17 +0100 (CET), Rainer Schöpf
 > <ra...@proteosys.com> wrote:
 > > On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Florent André wrote:
 > >
 > >  > I try to configure It (security manager) but with no successfull.
 > >
 > > I haven't found an easy way to configure it. The way that worked for me
 > in
 > > principle is this: switch on debugging output to see the exceptions
 > raised
 > > by
 > > the security manager, then run your web application. When an exception is
 > > shown
 > > in the log, add an appropriate access configuration, then restart your
 > > application. Repeat until done ;-) Very tedious. For lenya, I tried it
 > and
 > > gave
 > > up at some point.
 >
 > Have you create the security file for Lenya ? If yes, can you share it ? I
 > think that it will be useful for the community (and for me ! :) )
 >
 > Great thank you for the cooking technique, it will be usefull when the
 > security raised the absolute priority.
 >
 > Have a good day
 >

 > >  Regards,
 > >    Rainer

ProteoSys AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 51
55129 Mainz

Dr. Rainer Schöpf
Leiter Software/Softwareentwicklung

Mail:   rainer.schoepf@proteosys.com
Phone:  +49-(0)6131-50192-41
Fax:    +49-(0)6131-50192-11
WWW:    http://www.proteosys.com/

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@proteosys.com>.
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Florent André wrote:

 > On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:52:49 +0100 (CET), Rainer Schöpf
 > <ra...@proteosys.com> wrote:
 > > On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Florent André wrote:
 > >
 > >  > Install in 5.5 with Débian and .deb (apt-get), require some (little)
 > >  > configuration. This configuration is not easy to find, but I just find
 > > out
 > >  > this and I can share this if you want.
 > >
 > > You need to either switch off the security manager (TOMCAT5_SECURITY=no
 > in
 > > /etc/default/tomcat5.5) or spend time configuring it.
 >
 > Yes I do that (1 of the 2 "little configuration").
 >
 > Is this a security risk to disable this security manager ?

That depends.  With the security manager switched off, your web application has
the "normal" access rights of the server process. In particular, there is the
possibility to access a different web application running in the server. With
the security manager enabled, all accesses to, eg., the filesystem or the JVM
are checked.

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.

<ra...@proteosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Florent André wrote:
>
>  > Install in 5.5 with Débian and .deb (apt-get), require some (little)
>  > configuration. This configuration is not easy to find, but I just find
> out
>  > this and I can share this if you want.
>
> You need to either switch off the security manager (TOMCAT5_SECURITY=no
in
> /etc/default/tomcat5.5) or spend time configuring it.

Yes I do that (1 of the 2 "little configuration").

Is this a security risk to disable this security manager ?

I try to configure It but with no successfull.. (this information maybe
help some one who try this
http://aleph-null.tv/article/20080327-0202-760.xml/Tomcat-5.5-On-Debian:-Security-policies-and-%7Bcatalina.home%7D)

Regards

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@proteosys.com>.

Re: Lenya on Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Hi,

When I start with Lenya, I also try to install Lenya on Tomcat 6.0, and I
don't really find the solution.

For help you a few, I remember that :
In tomcat 6.0, the default folder for /common/endorsed is not define. You
have to define it in the catalina.properties

Is 6.0 really greater that 5.0 ?

Install on tomcat 5.5 work well if you choose the "standalone" installation
(not with .deb)