Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by br...@panix.com on 2000/11/21 17:50:21 UTC

Tomcat 3.1 standalone - how to resolve ~user requests???

[Sorry for the repost - but I'm stumped on this one.  I've looked in the
online docs, etc.]

How do I get a *standalone* Tomcat 3.1 server to resolve ~user requests?  The
Apache 1.3.11 server handles ~user requests fine (UserDir public_html).  Is
there something that needs to be added to jakarta-tomcat/conf/server.xml or
a command line argument that lets Tomcat know what '~' expand to?  '~'
expands to /dc/home NOT /home on our systems.

What is Tomcat's equivalent of Apache's  UserDir public_html?

Example:  http://asterix:8081/~bryan

Apache handles this fine.  Tomcat complains that ~bryan directory is not found.

Thanks.

Bryan
mailto:bryan@panix.com

Re: Tomcat 3.1 standalone - how to resolve ~user requests???

Posted by Wolfgang Trexler <W....@kpnqwest.at>.
bryan@panix.com wrote:

> [Sorry for the repost - but I'm stumped on this one.  I've looked in the
> online docs, etc.]
>
> How do I get a *standalone* Tomcat 3.1 server to resolve ~user requests?  The
> Apache 1.3.11 server handles ~user requests fine (UserDir public_html).  Is
> there something that needs to be added to jakarta-tomcat/conf/server.xml or
> a command line argument that lets Tomcat know what '~' expand to?  '~'
> expands to /dc/home NOT /home on our systems.
>
> What is Tomcat's equivalent of Apache's  UserDir public_html?
>
> Example:  http://asterix:8081/~bryan
>
> Apache handles this fine.  Tomcat complains that ~bryan directory is not found.

I don't think that Tomcat does handle that sort of requests. As stated
somewhere in the docs Tomcat is not a webserver replacement, so why
should one like to have web-server functionallity? Also I wouldn't use
the Tomcat standalone in a production environment. Try to get rid of
that setup, place Tomcat behind a web server like Apache that that
handles that kind of stuff and let Tomcat do what it's design for:
handle applications.

br
Wolfgang
--
KPNQwest Austria GmbH., A-1150 Wien, Diefenbachgasse 35
Ing. Wolfgang Trexler     Wolfgang.Trexler@KPNQwest.com