Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Mike Murray <as...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/11 22:02:54 UTC

New storage implementations for Slide

I am the project manager for a distributed information sharing network in
developement at Reed College. We were curious about what is required to
implement a new storage module for slide that would replace an SQL database
with our information sharing system.

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
If not, feel free to ignore.

Thank you.

-mike

RE: New storage implementations for Slide

Posted by Michael Oliver <ol...@alariussystems.com>.
This should be to the slide-user group, this list is for the developers of
slide itself.

However I will respond.  By 'module' you mean an alternative to the storage
of content and metadata from the default Tx File system stores and the RDBMS
stores that are available. You can write your own stores for content and
metadata by simply extending the various slide abstract store classes and
implementing your own event handlers.  You can see how the Tx* default
stores extend the abstract stores and look at the wiki.

You can then use Domain.xml to apply your stores to the entire slide
repository or to a particular scope or just certain stores on certain
paths/scope.

We use slide as a POJO serialization persistence repository and it works
very well.  We also have a HibernateStore that will take an object passed in
via XML serilization and reinstanciate the object and then do Object to
Relational mapping to end up storing the data both in XML and in RDBMS, so
there is plenty of power in there, but no easy way to learn it.

Michael Oliver
CTO
Alarius Systems LLC
6800 E. Lake Mead Blvd, #1096