Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Bruce W. Marriner" <bm...@ameristarfence.com> on 2003/09/26 21:10:04 UTC

When does tomcat call the garbage collector?

	Hello I am working on a crm web app in jsp.  I am pre-compiling everything with ant and serving them as servlets though tomcat.  I am curious when tomcat does garbage collection on the servlets.  For instance, if a servlet opens stuff up I would imagen when that page has finished executing it would clean up anything not properly cleaned up.

	The real issue...  I have a dbHandler class that takes care of sql statements and connection pooling.  I am using IBM's AS400JDBCConnectionPool class to handle the pool.  If it has say 100 connections open, and you shutdown tomcat.  They stay open on the AS400.  I would think that some process would go though and close everything that is open when tomcat shuts down.

	I am compiling with JDK1.4.2_09 and running Tomcat 4.1.27 which is using JRE1.4.2 to execute the servlets.  Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

Bruce Marriner

Re: When does tomcat call the garbage collector?

Posted by Filip Hanik <de...@hanik.com>.
it is your own responsibility to close connections from a pool.
Tomcat doesn't do garbage collection, the Java VM does.
Also, if you kill your VM and the connections are still open on the AS400
box, tough luck, (I would imagine they should timeout shortly) that is out
of reach from the VM/Tomcat side, best thing you can do is to not keep a
pool of open connections, because if the VM crashes or gets killed, there
will be no one closing them from the client

Filip