Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Pat Flynn <sh...@comcast.net> on 2013/01/13 17:35:35 UTC

How to associate opne office with my e-mail account

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro from Vista Home Premium. Every time I try to send a document from Open Office by e-mail, a drop down tells me that I have to establish an association with my mail program. I have tried Xfinity , which is my mail service at mail.comcast.net, Open Office on line help and Windows and have gotten no answer as how to do this. When I check my File Explorer and Programs, I find no program named Xfinity or Comcast mail.

Can you please help me out on this?

Pat Flynn
shirlpat @comcast.net

Re: How to associate open office with my e-mail account

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 14:46 13/01/2013 -0600, James Plante wrote:
>On Jan 13, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 16:35 13/01/2013 +0000, Pat Flynn wrote:
>>>I recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro from Vista Home Premium.
>>>Every time I try to send a document from Open Office by e-mail, a
>>>drop down tells me that I have to establish an association with my
>>>mail program. I have tried Xfinity, which is my mail service at
>>>mail.comcast.net, Open Office on line help and Windows and have
>>>gotten no answer as how to do this. When I check my File Explorer
>>>and Programs, I find no program named Xfinity or Comcast mail.
>>
>>You appear to be using Zimbra as your mail client - the local
>>program on your PC in which you compose messages and which
>>transmits them to your mail provider, Comcast.  If this is so, you
>>should be looking to associate OpenOffice with Zimbra, not with
>>Xfinity or Comcast.  OpenOffice should use your default e-mail
>>program, so you may need to educate Windows 8 as to what this is.
>
>Won't work, Brian. Zimbra's browser-based. From the VMware site:
>"VMware Zimbra is an enterprise-class email, calendar and
>collaboration solution, built for the cloud, both public and
>private. With a redesigned browser-based interface, Zimbra offers
>the most innovative messaging experience available today, connecting
>end users to the information and activity in their personal clouds."
>
>OpenOffice wants a dedicated mail client like T-bird, Outlook, or
>Apple's Mail.

That's the Zimbra Collaboration Server.  The web site also says, of
Zimbra Desktop:
"The free Zimbra Desktop client delivers a consistent user experience
offline, so email, voice, social, calendar, contacts, files and
documents are synchronized and locally accessible when on the road."
- and under Key features:
"Read email from any POP or IMAP email account including AOL, Hotmail
or business email"

It seems to me that this version is a PC client.  But yes, it may be
that the questioner is using the browser-based version - in which
case, as you say, OpenOffice will have no way to speak to it.

Brian Barker

Re: How to associate open office with my e-mail account

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Won't work, Brian. Zimbra's browser-based. From the VMware site:
"VMware Zimbra is an enterprise-class email, calendar and collaboration solution, built for the cloud, both public and private. With a redesigned browser-based interface, Zimbra offers the most innovative messaging experience available today, connecting end users to the information and activity in their personal clouds."

OpenOffice wants a dedicated mail client like T-bird, Outlook, or Apple's Mail.

Jim Plante

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Re: How to associate opne office with my e-mail account

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Forwarding to OP (not subscribed to the list).

Hagar

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Pat,