Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2019/07/10 16:26:18 UTC

run Net masscheck on Wednesdays too?

On the users list there's another FP discussion starting up about another
rule with an apparent S/O drop that's causing stale net scores to
be problematic.

Potentially we could reduce the time needed for net scores to react to
rule/corpora changes by running them on Wednesdays in addition to
weekends.

Would this be a change we want to make to the masscheck scripts (based on
the time it takes to run net checks, etc.)?

I would suggest that the majority of installations now have network checks
enabled, so running the net masschecks more frequently is something we
should seriously consider. As frequently as every other day would probably
be best if the resource usage from doing that isn't problematic.

   Back in 1969 the technology to fake a Moon landing didn't exist,
   but the technology to actually land there did.
   Today, it is the opposite.                               -- unknown
  10 days until the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon

Re: run Net masscheck on Wednesdays too?

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 09:26:18AM -0700, John Hardin wrote:
> On the users list there's another FP discussion starting up about another
> rule with an apparent S/O drop that's causing stale net scores to be
> problematic.
>
> Potentially we could reduce the time needed for net scores to react to
> rule/corpora changes by running them on Wednesdays in addition to weekends.
>
> Would this be a change we want to make to the masscheck scripts (based on
> the time it takes to run net checks, etc.)?
>
> I would suggest that the majority of installations now have network checks
> enabled, so running the net masschecks more frequently is something we
> should seriously consider. As frequently as every other day would probably
> be best if the resource usage from doing that isn't problematic.

I've kept saying here, everyone should activate "reuse".  We should not even
allow masschecks without it.  It would be no problem to run net check daily,
since everything is reused and no DNS queries are generated.

Fwd: run Net masscheck on Wednesdays too?