Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Frank Kimbell <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/10 20:41:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache and writing to NFS

Hello,

I am trying a script (PHP) that writes files to disk.
Now, writing the files locally works file, if I have a write-to
directory owned apache:apache.
Files created are owned apache:apache by default.

But, I want to try this:
I have an NFS share that has a large amount of space. I want the files
to be written on there. So, I mount the NFS share as a directory and
chown it apache:apache. Even chmodded it 777 just to be sure.

It keeps failing when writing to it.
I get the following error:

failed to open stream: Stale NFS file handle in script.php on line 6
(line 6 contains the php-fwrite command)

I don't think this is related to PHP, but to Apache that has
permission problems writing to an NFS share.

I am using Apache 2.2 and PHP5. SELinux is OFF.

Any idea?

TY

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and writing to NFS

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Frank Kimbell wrote:
>> I tried that, and get this:
>>
>> [root@host web]# su apache
>> bash-3.00$ cd /website/nfs-directory
>> bash: cd: /website/nfs-directory: Stale NFS file handle
>>
>> So also on the shell line, it gives this error...
>
> What I forgot to mention is that, when I do this as root, I get no problems...
> When I do this as apache,it gives that error

Anyway, what this tells you, is that it has nothing to do with Apache
per se.  It is a problem of permissions, or NFS mounts, or something
like that.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and writing to NFS

Posted by Frank Kimbell <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Pasher <ju...@newmediagateway.com>.
Frank Kimbell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying a script (PHP) that writes files to disk.
> Now, writing the files locally works file, if I have a write-to
> directory owned apache:apache.
> Files created are owned apache:apache by default.
>
> But, I want to try this:
> I have an NFS share that has a large amount of space. I want the files
> to be written on there. So, I mount the NFS share as a directory and
> chown it apache:apache. Even chmodded it 777 just to be sure.
>
> It keeps failing when writing to it.
> I get the following error:
>
> failed to open stream: Stale NFS file handle in script.php on line 6
> (line 6 contains the php-fwrite command)
>
> I don't think this is related to PHP, but to Apache that has
> permission problems writing to an NFS share.
>
> I am using Apache 2.2 and PHP5. SELinux is OFF.
>
> Any idea?

If you su to the apache user, can you create a new file in the same
directory? If not, then the permissions will need to be fixed so the
apache user has write access to that directory. If so, then apache
should have no problem writing to the directory from a script.
Considering the error message states "Stale NFS file handle", it sounds
like something might be wrong with the NFS mount or possibly the network
connection between the server machine and client machine. You can try
checking the system logs on both machines (/var/log/syslog) to see if
anything useful shows up in there. There might also be something in
/var/log/kern.log.

--
Justin Pasher