Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Данилов Семён <sa...@yandex.ru> on 2020/05/12 12:11:32 UTC

Moving binary metadata to PDS storage folder

Hello!

I would like to propose moving /binary_meta and /marshaller folders to the PDS folder.

Motivation: data, directly related to the persistence, is stored outside the persistence dir, which can lead to various issues and also is not very convenient to use. In particular, with k8s, deployment disk that is attached to a container can not be accessed from other containers or outside of k8s. In case if support will need to drop persistence except data, there will be no way to recover due to binary metadata is required to process PDS files.

I created an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-12994) and a pull request(https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/7792) that fixes the issue.

In that PR I made the following:

*     store binary meta and marshaller data inside db/ folder
*     if binary meta of marshaller are found in "legacy" locations -- safely move them to new locations during the node startup

Kind regards,

Semyon Danilov.

Re: Moving binary metadata to PDS storage folder

Posted by Данилов Семён <sa...@yandex.ru>.
Hello Denis,

I found out that without persistence being enabled, no metadata is written on disk (where is an if clause at the start of every method of BinaryMetadataFileStore) and everything is stored in metadataLocalCache.

Semyon.

Posted by Данилов Семён <sa...@yandex.ru>.
Hello everyone,

can we move forward with the merge of IGNITE-12994?

Semyon

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <mm...@apache.org>.
Folks,

I don't agree that it should be a single script for the whole migration process.
I don't think we should have some kind of automated `decision-maker`
processes for the migration procedure.

We should have well-defined documentation pages + the `migration`
directory with a single .sh per single operation.
For example:
1. binary_marshaller_move.sh -- move to binary, marshaller directories.
2. nodeId_to_consistentId.sh -- change a node directory to the new format.

The migration for each new version will require different sets of
these scripts (supposedly less than 10 in total).
I think users will be able to run each script manually to achieve PDS
compatibility according to their version.

Posted by Anton Kalashnikov <ka...@yandex.ru>.
Hello,

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <mm...@apache.org>.
Folks,

I think it's important to discuss the following question regarding this thread:
Should we consider moving the migration procedure from the java
production code to migration scripts?

From my understanding, keeping all such things in java production

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great!

Posted by Sergey Antonov <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello Semyon,

--
BR, Sergey Antonov

Re: Moving binary metadata to PDS storage folder

Posted by Вячеслав Коптилин <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hello Semyon,