Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com> on 2009/12/17 07:09:01 UTC

Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Hi,

Just installed Nutch 1.0 and tomcat.  Starting to play around with things.

I've managed to execute a crawl using : Nutch crawl
It appears as if the crawl worked.  I can do a test search from the
command line with:
bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.searcher.NutchBean foobar

It returns 10 results that look correct.

Then I setup Tomcat by modifying the nutch-site.xml file to contain the
path to the crawl directory (containing segments, index, etc.)

Starting Tomcat, I see in the logfile that the index was found:
"2009-12-16 22:00:39,740 INFO  SearchBean - opening indexes in
/home/noah/Documents/nutch/crawl/indexes"

BUT, HERE IS THE PROBLEM:  When I go to localhost:8080 in a browser and
search for anything, it returns 0 results.

I'm stumped:
- Nutch crawled correctly
- I can search from the command line and it works
- the Catalina log appears to have found the nutch index
- but, no results??

Any suggestions?

Re: Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Posted by Fadzi Ushewokunze <fa...@butterflycluster.net>.
put more logging statements in NutchBean;

have you checked errors in catalina.out?

Posted by Mischa Tuffield <mi...@garlik.com>.
Hello I have found that I had to include the following property in nutch-site.xml when building the WAR file :

  <property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>file:///</value>
  </property>

Which in turn tells the WAR file to look on the file system to find the index directory.

Furthermore, I need to comment this config property out when I build the nutch binaries which I use for the crawling process.

I hope this helps,

Mischa

On 18 Dec 2009, at 12:54, MilleBii wrote:

> Wich nutch-site.xml did you update ? The one under $NUTCH_HOME/conf or
> the one under webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF
>
> again have a look at the query plugins to see if they are enabled and present.
>
> Also presumably you do a tomcat restart when changing things under
> ROOT othewise nothing changes really.
>
> 2009/12/18, Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com>:
>> No errors in the logs.
>>
>> Everything I'm running is "stock"
>>
>> 1) I downloaded nutch from lucene.apache.org
>> 2) I used the yum package manager to install tomcat (running a redhat
>> server)
>> 3) copied over the war file for nutch and renamed it to root
>> 4) Edited nutch-site.xml to point to my crawl index.
>>
>> Searches with NutchBean from the command line work
>>
>> luke opens the index, shows good data and can search and return results.
>>
>> So, my guess is that nutch is crawling and indexing correctly.
>>
>> Something must be wrong with the tomcat side or the war file???
>>
>> -N
>>

>> On 12/18/09 3:30 AM, MilleBii wrote:
>>> You can patch search.jsp to make it log things.
>>>
>>> Is the query analysis working?
>>>
>>> Check your query plug-in's .
>>> are they enabled and the right ones.
>>> Check the logs it should tell if has found results or not.

___________________________________
Mischa Tuffield
Email: mischa.tuffield@garlik.com
Homepage - http://mmt.me.uk/
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/

Re: Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Posted by MilleBii <mi...@gmail.com>.
I know you installed the default configuration, but I remember having
similar problems when I first started.
I guess we just need to look of where it could go wrong and since the index
seems being picked up
it could be on the query side

+ check that you have the query-basic plugin enabled.

+ if yes you may have to patch search.jsp to see what's going on at search
time and gives a clue

--
-MilleBii-

Re: Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Posted by Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com>.
Hi,

Posted by MilleBii <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
-MilleBii-

Re: Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Posted by Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com>.
No errors in the logs.

Posted by MilleBii <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
-MilleBii-

Re: Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Posted by Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I set the patch in the nutch-site.xml to be:
/home/noah/nutch/crawl

The "indexes" part seems to have been automatically added somewhere.

Posted by Fadzi Ushewokunze <fa...@butterflycluster.net>.

Posted by Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com>.
Hello,

Posted by MilleBii <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
-MilleBii-

Re: Nutch search works, but no results in Tomcat

Posted by Noah Silverman <no...@smartmediacorp.com>.
Hi,