Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/17 23:51:14 UTC

unexpected results with Linux Intel RPM install, developer snapshot

I installed the Linux RPM pack the was I normally do -- 32 bit version --
but I'm not getting the normal directory structure for the "/program"
directory -- only a bunch of library files. So, no runnable program. Can
someone else try this and see if the results are the same for them. Maybe I
really messed up...I will try installing again.

MzK

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
 The courage to change the things I can,
 And wisdom to know the difference."
       -- "The Serenity Prayer", adapted from Reinhold Niebuhr

Re: unexpected results with Linux Intel RPM install, developer snapshot

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> Well, it seems I did NOT install all RPMs the first time. RPMs are now a
>> mix of names starting with "aoobasis4.0" and "openoffice4". Installs of
>> "aoobasi4.0" caused dumps of libraries to "/program".
>>

> I couldn't reproduce the problem installing the latest 32-bit RPMs from
> http://people.apache.org/~**arielch/developer-snapshots/**
> snapshot/linux_x86/Apache_**OpenOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86_**
> install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz<http://people.apache.org/~arielch/developer-snapshots/snapshot/linux_x86/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz>
>
> but I always install with an explicit prefix, i.e., something like
>
> sudo mkdir -p /opt/openoffice-snapshot/.rpm
> sudo rpm -ivh --dbpath /opt/openoffice-snapshot/.rpm --nodeps --prefix
> /opt/openoffice-snapshot *.rpm
>
> Anyway, if you install the full set you don't end up with anything in
> "/program", right? Otherwise the packaging must be revised.
>

>  Now, since I actually ust installed the "openoffice4" RPMS,  "/program"
>> has
>> normal binaries in it, so I can run AOO 4.0. But...still don't know why
>> other stuff is in this directory.
>>

> This should be normal since the 3-layer office is now removed. By
> comparison, a 3.4.1 setup would have this structure:
>
> /opt/openoffice-341/
> |-- openoffice.org
> `-- openoffice.org3
>
> while the OpenOffice 4.x-snapshot setup would only have the "openoffice4"
> folder, containing stuff that used to be in other folders (in my case,
> "program" has about 400 files in the snapshot, as opposed to about 30 in
> 3.4.1).

Oh! Well this explanation certainly helps! Thanks. No wonder. Maybe
something we should make former users aware of too. I, too, usually just do
an install with *.rpm option, but I had some other old rpms in this same
location, so I just tried to pick off the AOO4 ones. But I missed some.

Anyway, all good for now. I am looking forward to some testing now! :)

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier

Re: unexpected results with Linux Intel RPM install, developer snapshot

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
[top posting -- more information]

Well, it seems I did NOT install all RPMs the first time. RPMs are now a
mix of names starting with "aoobasis4.0" and "openoffice4". Installs of
"aoobasi4.0" caused dumps of libraries to "/program".

Now, since I actually ust installed the "openoffice4" RPMS,  "/program" has
normal binaries in it, so I can run AOO 4.0. But...still don't know why
other stuff is in this directory. I can send a full file list if someone is
interested.