Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Guy Rouillier <gu...@burntmail.com> on 2009/09/16 08:24:25 UTC

Building iBator Eclipse plug-in from source

I'm trying to build the iBator Eclipse plug-in from source to correct
the NullPointerException if the daoGenerator clause is not present.
I've got the trunk checked out.  BTW, both the website and the Eclipse
help list the wrong URL for SVN checkout.  Both of them say to check out
from

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/trunk/java/tools/ibator/

The actual URL is

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/java/ibator/trunk/

Following the directions in the online help, I was able to rebuild the
core component.  But how do I rebuild the eclipse component?

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: Building iBator Eclipse plug-in from source

Posted by Guy Rouillier <gu...@burntmail.com>.
Jeff Butler wrote:
> We reorganized SVN recently and I haven't gotten around to updating
> all the documentation pointers yet.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> There's a page in the Eclipse documentation for Ibator that talks
> about building the plugin here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/java/ibator/trunk/eclipse/org.apacheibatis.ibator.eclipse.doc/html-src/eclipseui/buildingFromSVN.html

Jeff, thanks for the pointer.  After a couple missteps, I was able to
get the latest iBator built and installed.  For those like me not
familiar with building plug-ins within Eclipse, these additional steps I
followed might be helpful.  Jeff, please correct any misstatements.

(1) The link to the required documentation is missing a period, here's
the actual link:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/java/ibator/trunk/eclipse/org.apache.ibatis.ibator.eclipse.doc/html-src/eclipseui/buildingFromSVN.html

This file is also present in the SVN checkout, so you can just access it
locally.

(2) Before starting on the instruction, change to the core directory and
  execute ant there.  This will build a JAR of the core files, which is
needed by buildibator.xml in the core plug-in.

(3) Now follow the instructions in the URL to import and build the
feature and plug-ins.  However, during the import, you should also
import the IbatorUpdateSite component, which is an update site
component.  You'll need this later to deploy the plug-ins.  I manually
built the doc component per the description in the instructions.

(4) After the components are built, open up the IbatorUpdateSite
component.  Double click on the site.xml file.  Under "Managing the
Site", click the "Add Feature..." button, and find and install the
iBator feature you just built.  You do *not* need to add the individual
plug-ins; they will be pulled in automatically by the feature.  I
right-clicked and removed all prior versions of the feature, but I don't
know if that is necessary.

(5) Now click the "Bulid All" button and let it package up the various
components.  At this point, I received the following error:

   C:\Documents and Settings\guyr\Workspaces\MyEclipse
7.0\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\package.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:127:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Documents and Settings\guyr\Workspaces\MyEclipse
7.0\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\package.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:144:
p2.generator doesn't support the "site" attribute

The build process did manage to build all the output JARS except for
org.apache.ibatis.ibator.eclipse.ui_1.2.1.jar.

(6) So, I went back to the ui plugin, and double clicked plugin.xml.  In
the upper right hand corner is an icon for "Export deployment plug-ins
and fragments".  I exported this plug-in, and copied the resulting JAR
file to IbatorUpdateSite/plugins.  Turns out it was the same size as the
  same JAR retrieved from SVN, so this step may not be necessary.

(7) Finally, the feature and plugins are ready to install.  Follow the
"manual eclipse install" instructions on the main iBator page:
http://ibatis.apache.org/ibator.html.

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.
We reorganized SVN recently and I haven't gotten around to updating
all the documentation pointers yet.  Sorry for the confusion.

There's a page in the Eclipse documentation for Ibator that talks
about building the plugin here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/java/ibator/trunk/eclipse/org.apache.ibatis.ibator.eclipse.doc/html-src/eclipseui/buildingFromSVN.html

Jeff Butler