Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Dramstad <ed...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/14 16:43:36 UTC

Problems building subversion 1.9.3 as required for use with GNU Stow on RHEL 5.11

Is there a right way to install subversion 1.9.3 using GNU Stow?

I use stow to manage package installation for packages that I build
myself.  I'm trying to build and install subversion 1.9.3 on a machine
running Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.11.  I'm building subversion
myself because the newest version available from yum is 1.6.11.

This is the error I get at the end of the `make install`:

libtool:   error: error: cannot install 'libsvn_delta-1.la' to a directory
not ending in /usr/local/lib

I have subversion-deps-1.6.11 on hand so I'm using the APR and APU
libraries from that.  Subversion 1.9.3 required a newer serf than the
version in the 1.6.11 deps bundle so I'm using serf 1.3.8.  The build
and install procedure for each of these libraries and subversion looks
like this:

apr 1.3.8:

    tar xvf subversion-deps-1.6.11.tar.bz2
    pushd subversion-1.6.11
    pushd apr
    ./configure --enable-layout=GNU
    make
    mkdir -P /usr/local/packages/apr-1.3.8
    make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/apr-1.3.8
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages apr-1.3.8
    popd # pwd=subversion-1.6.11

apr-util 1.3.9:

    pushd apr-util
    ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local --enable-layout=GNU
    make
    mkdir -P /usr/local/packages/apr-util-1.3.9
    make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/apr-util-1.3.9
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages apr-util-1.3.9
    popd # pwd=subversion-1.6.11
    popd

serf 1.3.8:

    tar xvf serf-1.3.8.tar.bz2
    pushd serf-1.3.8
    scons APR=/usr/local APU=/usr/local PREFIX=/usr/local
    mkdir -p /usr/local/packages/serf-1.3.8
    scons install PREFIX=/usr/local/packages/serf-1.3.8
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages serf-1.3.8
    popd

subversion 1.9.3:

    tar xvf subversion-1.9.3.tar.bz2
    pushd subversion-1.9.3
    ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local\
                --with-apr-util=/usr/local\
                --with-serf=/usr/local\
                --prefix=/usr/local
    make
    mkdir /usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3
    make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3 # <-- point of
failure
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages subversion-1.9.3
    popd

The last time I built subversion from source, it was subversion 1.6.11
on a different machine running RHEL 7.2.  I upgraded to subversion
1.9.3 on that machine and managed to get past similar libtool errors
by configuring with --disable-shared --enable-all-static in addition
to the flags mentioned above.  That approach did not work on the RHEL
5.11 machine.

I found a few threads that mentioned stow, mentioned a similar libtool
error message, or suggested a way to get around a similar libtool
error but none seemed to be about using stow to install subversion
*and* having the above error.  Here are a few threads I came across:

 - http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2003-04/0304.shtml
 - http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-03/0599.shtml
 - http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2003-03/1839.shtml

Thank you in advance for you help,
Eric Dramstad

Re: Problems building subversion 1.9.3 as required for use with GNU Stow on RHEL 5.11

Posted by Eric Dramstad <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Try --disable-shared --enable-static without --enable-all-static.

Your suggestion to use --disable-shared --enable-static worked.
Thanks for that!

I mentioned that a previous attempt to configure with --disable-shared
--enable-all-static didn't work.  That build failed with a long list
of undefined references to OpenSSL symbols.  I realized that I have
both the 32- and 64-bit versions of OpenSSL installed.  When I changed
the serf build to point to the location of 64-bit OpenSSL, the
statically-linked build worked.

In case someone (or more likely me) needs to do something similar in
the future, here's the entire build procedure that worked:

apr 1.3.8:

    tar xvf subversion-deps-1.6.11.tar.bz2
    pushd subversion-1.6.11/apr
    ./configure --enable-layout=GNU
    make
    mkdir -p /usr/local/packages/apr-1.3.8
    make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/apr-1.3.8
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages apr-1.3.8
    popd

apr-util 1.3.9:

    pushd subversion-1.6.11/apr-util
    ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local --enable-layout=GNU
    make
    mkdir -p /usr/local/packages/apr-util-1.3.9
    make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/apr-util-1.3.9
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages apr-util-1.3.9
    popd

serf 1.3.8:

    tar xvf serf-1.3.8.tar.bz2
    pushd serf-1.3.8
    scons APR=/usr/local APU=/usr/local OPENSSL=/lib64 PREFIX=/usr/local
    mkdir -p /usr/local/packages/serf-1.3.8
    scons install PREFIX=/usr/local/packages/serf-1.3.8
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages serf-1.3.8
    popd

subversion 1.9.3:

    tar xvf subversion-1.9.3.tar.bz2
    unzip sqlite-amalgamation-3071501.zip
    mv sqlite-amalgamation-3071501 subversion-1.9.3/sqlite-amalgamation
    pushd subversion-1.9.3
    ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local\
                --with-apr-util=/usr/local\
                --with-serf=/usr/local\
                --prefix=/usr/local\
                --disable-shared\
                --enable-static
    make
    mkdir -p /usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3
    make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3
    stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages subversion-1.9.3
    popd

Thanks again,
Eric

Re: Problems building subversion 1.9.3 as required for use with GNU Stow on RHEL 5.11

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Eric Dramstad wrote on Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:43:36 -0400:
>     tar xvf subversion-1.9.3.tar.bz2
>     pushd subversion-1.9.3
>     ./configure --with-apr=/usr/local\
>                 --with-apr-util=/usr/local\
>                 --with-serf=/usr/local\
>                 --prefix=/usr/local
>     make
>     mkdir /usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3
>     make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3 # <-- point of failure

I don't think that's a supported syntax: we may hardcode the prefix
passed to configure (or paths derived from it) in more places than the
Make variable $(prefix).

Couldn't you just pass --prefix=/usr/local/packages/subversion-1.9.3 to
configure?

Perhaps you could make use of DESTDIR, e.g., «make install DESTDIR=/foo»
followed by using stow to link the files installed to /foo into /usr/local.

>     stow -t /usr/local -d /usr/local/packages subversion-1.9.3
>     popd
>
> The last time I built subversion from source, it was subversion 1.6.11
> on a different machine running RHEL 7.2.  I upgraded to subversion
> 1.9.3 on that machine and managed to get past similar libtool errors
> by configuring with --disable-shared --enable-all-static in addition

Try --disable-shared --enable-static without --enable-all-static.

> to the flags mentioned above.  That approach did not work on the RHEL
> 5.11 machine.

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: Problems building subversion 1.9.3 as required for use with GNU Stow on RHEL 5.11

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 15.03.2016 13:38, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Eric Dramstad <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a right way to install subversion 1.9.3 using GNU Stow?
>>
>> I use stow to manage package installation for packages that I build
>> myself.  I'm trying to build and install subversion 1.9.3 on a machine
>> running Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.11.  I'm building subversion
>> myself because the newest version available from yum is 1.6.11.
> Don't hurt yourself trying to do that. The build dependencies have
> gotten too far ahead of the base components for RHEL 5 for even me,
> and I published the last update for Repoforge. Save yourself some pain
> and take a look at Wandisco's public offerings if you need to run the
> server on RHEL 5, or stell yourself for the jump tp RHEL 6 or RHEL 7.

In order to avoid any nasty surprises down the road, I'll point out that
WANdisco no longer employs any Subversion developers. I have no idea how
this may affect the availability of their binary packages in future.

-- Brane

Re: Problems building subversion 1.9.3 as required for use with GNU Stow on RHEL 5.11

Posted by Eric Dramstad <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't hurt yourself trying to do that. The build dependencies have
> gotten too far ahead of the base components for RHEL 5 for even me,
> and I published the last update for Repoforge. Save yourself some pain
> and take a look at Wandisco's public offerings if you need to run the
> server on RHEL 5, or stell yourself for the jump tp RHEL 6 or RHEL 7.

I managed to get the build working without *too much* pain.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck using RHEL 5.11 on this one machine for the
forseeable future.  Our other machines are running 7.2 and seem to
work better.

Thanks for the tip about Wandisco's offerings.  I didn't think to look
around for builds of old subversion.  I'll keep your tools in mind if
I need to build subversion again in the future.

Thanks again,
Eric Dramstad

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.