Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com> on 2019/09/08 22:06:14 UTC

Re: New board report wizard, feedback welcome!

I just used it for the first time for Curator. I'm sorry to say that this is a big step backwards for me. The previous reporter was so much easier to use. I could enter the sections as needed, reflow easily and then copy to Whimsy. The new icons and editor were very confusing for me. Also, there was no way to reflow that I could find (other than to purposely exceed a line length). I'd prefer to copy to Whimsy myself and post when it's complete.

My 0.02

-Jordan

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
I used it - on a trial basis - for the generation of the Trafodion
quarterly report for upcoming board meeting, and found it quit cumbersome.
While adding content to it I found the screen/section constantly
repositioning itself to the top of the content, which was quite annoying.

On the other hand, I found the recap of the metrics in the reporter tool
quite handy. Unfortunately, the basis from where it was derived (the 'see
full metrics (new tab)' link/page) did not show all metrics.
Especially the mailing list trends showed only what someone else seems to
be regarding as important. Regarding this, the PMC of a project is the only
party who can determine what is important to report (or not), and it would
be therefore better that metrics of all mailing lists are shown.

Also, as the reporting period is defined (from the first day of the first
month of the reporting period to the last day of the last month of the
reporting period), I would be more accurate if the metrics page would
reflect that. Now it shows datapoint derived from the page refresh date,
which may lead to skewed (and difficult to compare) results. An improvement
would be that the tool would generate the metrics on shortly (within hours)
after the end of the reporting period automatically and store those results
for future use.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)