Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/05/06 01:18:59 UTC

back to the FAQ

A while ago we started discussing ways to streamline and clean-up the 2.0
FAQ.  I've been busy in the interim, but I finally found a few minutes to
take a look at this.  Below is a sketch for the structure of the new FAQ.
Only the main page and the "support" page are implemented. The important
points are

1. By default, each category is accessed under its own page.
2. By tagging "?ONEPAGE" onto the end of the URL of the main page, you can
get an all-in-one-page version.

I tried hard to keep things simple, and to make sure that you could still
navigate the FAQ even if SSI was turned off.  (You will get two copies of
the category index, and only the top one will work.)

So I am interested in hearing if this meets people's needs for basic
structure, and if anyone has suggestions for structural/SSI code
improvement.

If the basic structure is approved, the next steps are
1. Determining which categories to use.
2. Determining which questions should be brought over from the 1.3 FAQ.

The rendered version of the FAQ (SSI processed) is available at
http://garibaldi.commerce.ubc.ca:8080/ap20/manual/FAQ/

--
Joshua Slive
slive@commerce.ubc.ca

Re: back to the FAQ

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 25 May 2001, Chris Pepper wrote:

> 	I'd change "Apache HTTP Server Version 2.0" to "Apache HTTP
> Server Version 2.0" or "Apache 2 HTTP Server" -- it's not 2.0 yet,
> and it will probably only be 2.0 for a week, before 2.0.1, but this
> should be the FAQ for 2.1 and successors too.

Thanks for all your comments Chris.  Regarding the last one, I know this
is a major issue, but I think it is too late.  Perhaps people (including
me) should have thought a little bit more before setting it up this way,
but practically everything to do with the next version is referred to as
"2.0".  I guess the assumption is that we will create a new set of docs
when 2.1 roles around, just as we did for 2.0.  I'm not so worried about
the minor version number.  I think people will understand that 2.0
encompasses 2.0.xx.

Joshua.

Re: back to the FAQ

Posted by Chris Pepper <pe...@mail.reppep.com>.
At 2:59 PM -0700 2001/05/22, Joshua Slive wrote:
>This is a last call for objections to the new-style FAQ referenced below.
>I am going to commit if I don't hear anything.

+1

	I'd add mention of "apachectl configtest" and checking to
make sure the right httpd.conf is being used, then reading httpd.conf
itself -- not sure how many people have problems before they're
intimately familiar with their .conf files, but I'm sure it's many.

	I'll try to add this in after it's in CVS, and a mention of
startscripts.

>In addition consider this a plea for advice on what the categories should
>look like and what questions should be brought over.  If I don't get
>feedback, I'm just going to use my judgement, and the result will
>certainly be suboptimal.
>
>In particular:
>
>1. What categories of questions do we need?

	Configuring Apache (including "apachectl configtest"), with a
sub-section on access control and another on virtual hosts (might
just be a link to the VHost master doc).

	Starting Apache (may be small, but it's not simple, and we
can give instructions for various specific platforms)

	I'd retitle "Error Messages" to "Troubleshooting and Error Messages".

	Add "How can I help" to the FAQ

>2. Which questions from the 1.3 FAQ should be brought over to the
>2.0 FAQ?  All the ones that are vaguely relevant?  Only the ones
>that seem like they will surely still be FAQs?  None at all?
>Which questions in particular?

>  > The rendered version of the FAQ (SSI processed) is available at
>  > http://garibaldi.commerce.ubc.ca:8080/ap20/manual/FAQ/

	I'd change "Apache HTTP Server Version 2.0" to "Apache HTTP
Server Version 2.0" or "Apache 2 HTTP Server" -- it's not 2.0 yet,
and it will probably only be 2.0 for a week, before 2.0.1, but this
should be the FAQ for 2.1 and successors too.

						Chris
--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller U Computing Services:  <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>

Re: back to the FAQ

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
This is a last call for objections to the new-style FAQ referenced below.
I am going to commit if I don't hear anything.

In addition consider this a plea for advice on what the categories should
look like and what questions should be brought over.  If I don't get
feedback, I'm just going to use my judgement, and the result will
certainly be suboptimal.

In particular:

1. What categories of questions do we need?

2. Which questions from the 1.3 FAQ should be brought over to the
2.0 FAQ?  All the ones that are vaguely relevant?  Only the ones
that seem like they will surely still be FAQs?  None at all?
Which questions in particular?

PLEASE HELP!