Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Vineet Garg <vg...@hortonworks.com> on 2018/05/16 18:03:50 UTC

Release branch updates

Hello,

An update on release branches:

I have created a new branch branch-3.0 off branch-3 which is being used to release Hive 3.0. branch-3 will continue to be used for 3.x releases.
I am preparing branch-3 for 3.1 release and is now open for commits. Please ping me if you would like to get your commit to branch-3 keeping in mind that we should target only minor features and bug fixes in there.
Master will continue to be used for major features in 4.0.

Thanks,
Vineet Garg

Re: Release branch updates

Posted by Vineet Garg <vg...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello,

master has been updated with 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT version and all jiras with fix version 3.1.0 which were pushed in master but not branch-3 has been updated with fix version as 4.0.0.

Here is the branch along with hive version they are tracking:
master —> 4.0.0
branch-3 —> 3.1.0
branch-3.0 —> 3.0.1

Thanks,
Vineet

On May 22, 2018, at 1:21 PM, Vineet Garg <vg...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Hi Sahil,

We have done releases like 2.3 and 2.4 off branch-2 instead of master in past.

The idea is to keep master for all major features (e.g. removing support for MR) and keep 3.1 for only minor features plus bug fixes.

Vineet

On May 22, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Sahil Takiar <ta...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Is there a reason we want to only release 3.x on branch-3? I don't think
this is what we did for the 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 releases.

Given that most of the changes in Hive go into master, why would we want to
upgrade it to 4.0 given that we just released 3.0?

--
Sahil Takiar
Software Engineer

Re: Release branch updates