Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com> on 2016/10/18 20:01:59 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Hi all,

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Mesos 1.1.0.

1.1.0 includes the following:
  * [MESOS-2449] - **Experimental** support for launching a group of tasks
    via a new `LAUNCH_GROUP` Offer operation. Mesos will guarantee that either
    all tasks or none of the tasks in the group are delivered to the executor.
    Executors receive the task group via a new `LAUNCH_GROUP` event.

  * [MESOS-2533] - **Experimental** support for HTTP and HTTPS health checks.
    Executors may now use the updated `HealthCheck` protobuf to implement
    HTTP(S) health checks. Both default executors (command and docker) leverage
    `curl` binary for sending HTTP(S) requests and connect to `127.0.0.1`,
    hence a task must listen on all interfaces. On Linux, For BRIDGE and USER
    modes, docker executor enters the task's network namespace.

  * [MESOS-3421] - **Experimental** Support sharing of resources across
    containers. Currently persistent volumes are the only resources allowed to
    be shared.

  * [MESOS-3567] - **Experimental** support for TCP health checks. Executors
    may now use the updated `HealthCheck` protobuf to implement TCP health
    checks. Both default executors (command and docker) connect to `127.0.0.1`,
    hence a task must listen on all interfaces. On Linux, For BRIDGE and USER
    modes, docker executor enters the task's network namespace.

  * [MESOS-4324] - Allow access to persistent volumes as read-only or read-write
    by tasks. Mesos doesn't allow persistent volumes to be created as read-only
    but in 1.1 it starts allow tasks to use the volumes as read-only. This is
    mainly motivated by shared persistent volumes but applies to regular
    persistent volumes as well.

  * [MESOS-5275] - **Experimental** support for linux capabilities. Frameworks
    or operators now have fine-grained control over the capabilities that a
    container may have. This allows a container to run as root, but not have all
    the privileges associated with the root user (e.g., CAP_SYS_ADMIN).

  * [MESOS-5344] -- **Experimental** support for partition-aware Mesos
    frameworks. In previous Mesos releases, when an agent is partitioned from
    the master and then reregisters with the cluster, all tasks running on the
    agent are terminated and the agent is shutdown. In Mesos 1.1, partitioned
    agents will no longer be shutdown when they reregister with the master. By
    default, tasks running on such agents will still be killed (for backward
    compatibility); however, frameworks can opt-in to the new PARTITION_AWARE
    capability. If they do this, their tasks will not be killed when a partition
    is healed. This allows frameworks to define their own policies for how to
    handle partitioned tasks. Enabling the PARTITION_AWARE capability also
    introduces a new set of task states: TASK_UNREACHABLE, TASK_DROPPED,
    TASK_GONE, TASK_GONE_BY_OPERATOR, and TASK_UNKNOWN. These new states are
    intended to eventually replace the TASK_LOST state.

  * [MESOS-6077] - **Experimental** A new default executor is introduced which
    frameworks can use to launch task groups as nested containers. All the
    nested containers share resources likes cpu, memory, network and volumes.

  * [MESOS-6014] - **Experimental** A new port-mapper CNI plugin, the
    `mesos-cni-port-mapper` has been introduced. For Mesos containers, with the
    CNI port-mapper plugin, users can now expose container ports through host
    ports using DNAT. This is especially useful when Mesos containers are
    attached to isolated CNI networks such as private bridge networks, and the
    services running in the container needs to be exposed outside these
    isolated networks.

The CHANGELOG for the release is available at:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=mesos.git;a=blob_plain;f=CHANGELOG;hb=1.1.0-rc1

The candidate for Mesos 1.1.0 release is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mesos/1.1.0-rc1/mesos-1.1.0.tar.gz

The tag to be voted on is 1.1.0-rc1:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=mesos.git;a=commit;h=1.1.0-rc1

The MD5 checksum of the tarball can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mesos/1.1.0-rc1/mesos-1.1.0.tar.gz.md5

The signature of the tarball can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mesos/1.1.0-rc1/mesos-1.1.0.tar.gz.asc

The PGP key used to sign the release is here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/mesos/KEYS

The JAR is up in Maven in a staging repository here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemesos-1158

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Mesos 1.1.0!

The vote is open until Fri Oct 21 21:57:02 CEST 2016 and passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Mesos 1.1.0

Alex & Till

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Posted by Alex Rukletsov <al...@mesosphere.com>.
This vote is cancelled. We'll cut RC2 later this week after the blockers
are resolved.

Posted by Alex Rukletsov <al...@mesosphere.com>.

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Robinson <dr...@twitter.com>.
-1

--
David Robinson
SRE - Mesos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Posted by David Robinson <dr...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
-1

--
David Robinson
SRE - Mesos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Posted by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com>.
Quick update on RC2 - we are still waiting for one blocker - cut will follow the solution of MESOS-6497.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.
+1 (binding).

Here is a link to the rpm/deb packages:
    http://open.mesosphere.com/downloads/mesos-rc/#apache-mesos-1.1.0-rc1

Kapil

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.
+1 (binding).

Posted by Zhitao Li <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Posted by Zhitao Li <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 1.1.0 (rc1)

Posted by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Yan Xu <xu...@apple.com>.
-1 (binding)

Hope we can https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-6446 in? It's
already a blocker for 1.0.2 and it could be annoying for operators.

If we cut another rc, maybe we can get this one (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-6455) in too? It's not a
blocker but it fails my build.

Yan

Jiang Yan Xu 