Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sangeetha Hariharan <Sa...@citrix.com> on 2013/04/03 04:23:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.1 ( components.xml and db.propetries)

Wanted to discuss about how to deal with components.xml and db.properties when upgrading from 4.0 ->4.1.

1.     If someone has made changes to your existing copy of the file components.xml in your previous-version CloudStack installation , after upgrade they will have to translate these changes into the current componentContext.xml file  which is located in /usr/share/cloudstack-management/webapps/client/WEB-INF/classes/componentContext.xml. This step needs to be documented in the upgrade procedure.

Had a question here. Should we ideally maintain the location of the componentContext.xml to be the same as it was in 4.0? It is now present in a completely different location.

2.     When we upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 , we do not have a copy of db.properties that comes from a 4.1 installation saved anywhere.

I have logged the following bug to track this issue:

CLOUDSTACK-1900<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1900> - Upgrade 4.0 -> 4.1 , We do not have a copy of db.properties that comes from a 4.1 installation saved anywhere.

This needs to be saved , So that as part of upgrade instructions we can ask that the user makes his current  db.properties compatible with this version. This step is documented as part of upgrade procedures from 2.2.14-> 4.0 and 3.0.2->4.0.

I see the following awsapi missing in db.properties when upgrading from 4.0 -> 4.1:

           db.awsapi.username=cloud
db.awsapi.password=cloud
db.awsapi.host=localhost
db.awsapi.port=3306

What should the solution for this issue be ?

-Thanks
Sangeetha

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.1 ( components.xml and db.propetries)

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
On 04/04/2013 02:36 AM, Sangeetha Hariharan wrote:

> As a follow up on the discussion we had on the IRC  meeting , I have updated the existing doc bug relating to upgrade - CLOUDSTACK-1837 , to include the following 2 steps as well as part of upgrade:
>

> 1. If someone has made changes to your existing copy of the file components.xml in your previous-version CloudStack installation , after upgrade they will have to translate these changes into the current componentContext.xml file which is located in /usr/share/cloudstack-management/webapps/client/WEB-INF/classes/componentContext.xml.

The path is actually /etc/cloudstack/management/componentContext.xml

No configuration is in /usr/share. I get the confusion though, that's a
packaging issue I'm working on.

I'll update the ticket.

Wido

Posted by Sangeetha Hariharan <Sa...@citrix.com>.