Posted to commits@cassandra.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2011/03/05 01:19:56 UTC

[Cassandra Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by JoaquinCasares

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cassandra Wiki" for change notification.

The "FAQ" page has been changed by JoaquinCasares.
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=103&rev2=104

+  * [[#cleaning_compacted_tables|I compacted, so why do I still have all my SSTables?]]

  <<Anchor(cant_listen_on_ip_any)>>

@@ -383, +384 @@

  == How do I unsubscribe from the email list? ==
  Send an email to user-unsubscribe@cassandra.apache.org

+ <<Anchor(cleaning_compacted_tables)>>
+
+ == I compacted, so why do I still have all my SSTables? ==
+ SSTables that are obsoleted by a compaction are deleted asynchronously when the JVM performs a GC. You can force a GC from jconsole if necessary, but Cassandra will force one itself if it detects that it is low on space. A compaction marker is also added to obsolete sstables so they can be deleted on startup if the server does not perform a GC before being restarted. Read more on this subject [[http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable|here]].
+