Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Justin Yao <ju...@snooth.com> on 2009/01/07 17:16:05 UTC

encountered the "Cannot allocate memory" when calling snapshooter program after optimize command

Hi,

I configured solr to listen on postOptimize event and call the
snapshooter program after an optimize command. It works well when the
Java heap size is set to less than 4G. But if I increased the java heap
size to 5G, the snapshooter program can't be successfully called after
the optimize command and error message is here:

SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program
"/home/solr_1.3/solr/bin/snapshooter" (in directory
"/home/solr_1.3/solr/bin"): java.io.IOException: error=12, Cannot
allocate memory
         at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:459)
         at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:593)

Here is my server platform:

OS: CentOS 5.2 x86_64
Memory: 8G
Solr: 1.3

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: encountered the "Cannot allocate memory" when calling snapshooter program after optimize command

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Justin,

Please check solr-user archive on markmail.org and search for "overcommit" or even "Whitman" to find a recent thread that I believe has the answer to this question.

Otis