Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Aravindan T <ar...@tcs.com> on 2014/02/03 12:25:12 UTC

Query on Seed node

 Hi ,

I  have a  4 node cassandra cluster with one node marked as seed node.  When i checked the data directory of seed node , it has two folders  /keyspace/columnfamily.
But sstable db files are not available.the folder is empty.The db files are available in remaining nodes.

I want to know the reason why db files are not created in seed node ?
what will happen if all the nodes in a cluster is marked as seed node ??

Aravindan Thangavelu
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: aravindan.t@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.	IT Services
			Business Solutions
			Consulting
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Balance Virtual Nodes

Posted by Augusto Uehara <gu...@gmail.com>.
Dear Cassandra list,

We are experiencing the following distibution of our tokens:

State    Address                 Load             Tokens   Owns         Host ID                                                            Rack
UN       10.180.199.188     108.72 GB     263         0.0%         f2c84a20-a4b7-4db1-b5bd-95eaf231ac76     RAC1
UN       10.180.206.15         71.86 GB     254         25.0%       a13afce3-7e98-4a3b-98d1-5bf6742435a4     RAC1
UN       10.45.163.69         152.23 GB     258         25.0%       90247170-e2bc-43ae-a827-2dcb082e43fc    RAC1
UN       10.235.36.125       103.91 GB     248         50.0%       89f362f5-e844-470d-a303-f54e46abc1cb      RAC1

our num_tokens is set to 256 and this node started as a regular node and later this was migrated to a virtual node.

We are using the org.apache.cassandra.dht.Murmur3Partitioner.

I've already tried the move and the shuffle nodetool commands after reading a few other posts about this somewhere else, but with no luck.

Can anyone please advice? At this point, our servers don't have enough data that I wouldn't consider creating another cluster, swap the apps to the new cluster and migrate the data using snapshots or scripts, but I think this is a dumb way to do this...

Kind regards,
Augusto

Re: Query on Seed node

Posted by Or Sher <or...@gmail.com>.
I'm guessing its just a coincident.. As far as I know, seeds have nothing
to do with where the data should be located.
I think there could be couple of reasons why you wouldn't see SSTables on a
specific column family folder, these are some of them:
- You're using a few distinct keys which non of them should be on that seed
node.
- Node hasn't flushed yet.. You can use nodetool flush to try and flush
memtables manually.
- You're using manual token assignment and you didn't not assign them well.

--
Or Sher