Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> on 2008/05/07 00:38:21 UTC

Other 2.6.2 changes

I noticed with 2.6.2 that when a user changes their fullname, for all
the groups in which they are a member, their member identifier is
changed from the logname (which I normally use as the identifier) to the
new fullname.  Is that the intended behavior?

Second, when the above change occurs, JSPWiki does not appear to
recognize that user's membership in the appropriate groups until that
user logs out and then logs back in.  Is that intended behavior?

Third, when typing '[' followed by some characters into the editor, I
get a continuous set of  "TypeError: el has no properties" alert boxes.
What does this mean?  More importantly, how do I turn it off?

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Terry Steichen wrote:
> I noticed with 2.6.2
[...]
> Third, when typing '[' followed by some characters into the editor, I
> get a continuous set of  "TypeError: el has no properties" alert boxes.
> What does this mean?  More importantly, how do I turn it off?

I can't speak to the first two questions, but the third is a behaviour
that, when working, pops up a menu of matching (currently available) wiki
page names, I'm assuming so that you can select one from the list as a
shortcut. For me, on Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Ubuntu 7.10, the menu pops up
but selecting from it via the mouse has no effect. For you, you're
apparently getting a broken popup menu, perhaps due to localization?

Not sure how much help this is -- whoever is the expert on the i18n
features of JSPWiki might be able to lend a hand, though I think this
is likely mostly related to JavaScript. (e.g., as a test, turning off
JavaScript likely halts the error messages)

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
To disable the function, just remove the onkeyp handler in your plain.jsp.
The error you get is coming from the getSuggesitons function, which is
located in jspwik-edit.js

  <textarea id="editorarea" name="<%=EditorManager.REQ_EDITEDTEXT%>"
         class="editor"
       onkeyup="getSuggestions(this.id)"   >>>>> remove this line
       onclick="setCursorPos(this.id)"
      onchange="setCursorPos(this.id)"

dirk

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Dirk,

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Terry,

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> Third, when typing '[' followed by some characters into the editor, I
> get a continuous set of  "TypeError: el has no properties" alert
> boxes.
> What does this mean?  More importantly, how do I turn it off?

Yes, it's a Javascript error.  You have  probably changed the editor
in such a way that the JS code responsible for the auto-link matcher
does not find the editor textarea.

/Janne

Re: Higher level project documentation, Was: Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> Aren't there any tools which could analyze a code base and generate a
> project map / graphical class overview with dependencies a.s.o.?

Yes, there are, but these are in general useless, since they don't
really describe how the software works.  Process diagrams and
tutorials are far more useful.

> Well I think, the big picture documentation can only be done by people
> who at least have enough overview on the project and its history.

True, but we still need someone who is willing to take overall
responsibility of the documentation and find the bits that need to be
documented.  Also clean it up once someone writes some documentation,
and makes sure it is organized well and is up to date.  I'm happy to
contribute when someone says that "this bit here, that needs
contribution from YOU since you understand it", but I can't take on
the entire project management of the documentation, too...

/Janne

Higher level project documentation, Was: Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Hi there,

> Yes, I can certainly see what the issue here is - we are lacking
> some "big picture" documentation. The Javadocs are great if you know
> what you are doing, but if you don't know what the feature is and
> how it fits in the JSPWiki architecture, it's not that clear. HOWTOs
> and tutorials would be great, too.

that's the essence!

Aren't there any tools which could analyze a code base and generate a
project map / graphical class overview with dependencies a.s.o.?

> However, I can't stress enough the fact that this is a collaborative
> project, and as such, we *need* more people who can write concise
> documentation, howtos, architecture diagrams, etc.  This beast is too
> big for any single person to ride anymore, so please do help us :-).

Well I think, the big picture documentation can only be done by people
who at least have enough overview on the project and its history.
Since the project is growing more and more, this should be done very
soon...
* before the situation gets worse, and it will.
* because the larger the project becomes, the more important this kind
  of documentation will be for new developers and also for the project
  lead to plan the future of the project.

Regards,
 Florian

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Yes, I can certainly see what the issue here is - we are lacking some
"big picture" documentation.  The Javadocs are great if you know what
you are doing, but if you don't know what the feature is and how it
fits in the JSPWiki architecture, it's not that clear.  HOWTOs and
tutorials would be great, too.

And, since things are changing between major versions, it's not very
easy to keep track of all that stuff either.  I know, I still don't
know all the things that the AAA subsystem is doing - neither can I
claim to understand the workflow system very well.  I tried to make
SpamFilter to use it but forgot about it pretty soon, since I could
never get it to work they way I thought it was supposed to work...

However, I can't stress enough the fact that this is a collaborative
project, and as such, we *need* more people who can write concise
documentation, howtos, architecture diagrams, etc.  This beast is too
big for any single person to ride anymore, so please do help us :-).
As much as we would like, we can't do *everything*.  Code we can do;
javadocs we can write; but we would need people who would be willing
to sort of take the "documentation management" responsibility.   For
example, see what needs to be documented, and then find volunteers,
see how much they're willing to do, and then simply divide up the job
and make sure that people are doing it.

Anybody?

(Yeah, our Javadocs are getting a lot better.  Only 900 missing
@params to document or something... ;-)

(And don't worry Terry, you aren't saying anything I haven't cursed
under my breath already...  But though Andrew is right: we *are*
easier to patch than many other OSS projects.  Though patching them
is never easy, because we can change everything from under you,
unless you manage to get the patch approved and into the codebase...)

/Janne

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Andrew,

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.
>>> I noticed with 2.6.2 that when a user changes their fullname, for
>>> all
>>> the groups in which they are a member, their member identifier is
>>> changed from the logname (which I normally use as the identifier) to
>>> the
>>> new fullname.  Is that the intended behavior?
>>
>> Yes. This is not configurable.
>
> Why?  What's the point of changing the name of the identically-same
> group memberships?  Why not leave them as they were - a change in
> fullname would not logically imply a change in a group membership,
> would
> it?

Functionally, what we want to do is simple: when you change your login
ID from "terry" to "steichen", or change your full name, JSPWiki wants
to make sure that ACLs and group memberships don't break. If you
change your login or full name in the user profile, your ACL and group
memberships should still work.

We do this via a search-and-replace type operation after the profile
is saved. We look for any and all of the old Principals (full/login/
wiki name) from the old profile and replace any we find with the
fullname. That might not be good for your purposes, but I do know that

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 20:38 -0400, Andrew Jaquith wrote:

> Many different issues here. Replies online.
>
> On May 6, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed with 2.6.2 that when a user changes their fullname, for all
> > the groups in which they are a member, their member identifier is
> > changed from the logname (which I normally use as the identifier) to
> > the
> > new fullname.  Is that the intended behavior?
>
> Yes. This is not configurable.

Why?  What's the point of changing the name of the identically-same
group memberships?  Why not leave them as they were - a change in
fullname would not logically imply a change in a group membership, would
it?

> > Second, when the above change occurs, JSPWiki does not appear to
> > recognize that user's membership in the appropriate groups until that
> > user logs out and then logs back in.  Is that intended behavior?
>
> That is odd. Sounds like a bug. Could you open a JIRA ticket with
> precise steps to reproduce?

Sure - but I guess my question is whether anyone else has tested this
and come up with different behavior (from that I described)?  Has anyone
changed their fullname and then verified that the normal group
relationships remained intact without a logout/login?  (Remember that I
do have some customized stuff, so I'm never sure how they will interact
with changes in JSPWiki.  No point in entering a trouble ticket if I'm
the only one experiencing it.)

> > Third, when typing '[' followed by some characters into the editor, I
> > get a continuous set of  "TypeError: el has no properties" alert
> > boxes.
> > What does this mean?  More importantly, how do I turn it off?
> >

> This doesn't sound like a groups issue per se. Is this a wiki editing
> issue?

Yes, it certainly is an editing question.  That's why I changed the
subject of this message to be more general.

Re: Other 2.6.2 changes

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.