Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Pfingstl Gernot <ge...@stmk.gv.at> on 2005/01/04 11:15:44 UTC

SSLProtocolSocketFactory

The constructor of SSLProtocolSocketFactory is "public", shouldn't it be "private"?

In SSLProtocolSocketFactory there is called SSLSocketFactory.getDefault() to obtain a SSLSocketFactory. Is there a plan to make SSLProtocolSocketFactory more customizable, so that it uses not only the default SSLSocketFactory? I made my own implementation of SSLProtocolSocketFactory, but it would be nice (to me and maybe to others?) to have it in the httpclient package itself.

Gernot

Re: SSLProtocolSocketFactory

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.

Pfingstl Gernot wrote:
> The constructor of SSLProtocolSocketFactory is "public", shouldn't it
> be "private"?

I can't answer this at the moment.

> In SSLProtocolSocketFactory there is called
> SSLSocketFactory.getDefault() to obtain a SSLSocketFactory. Is there
> a plan to make SSLProtocolSocketFactory more customizable, so that it
> uses not only the default SSLSocketFactory? I made my own
> implementation of SSLProtocolSocketFactory, but it would be nice (to
> me and maybe to others?) to have it in the httpclient package itself.

HttpClient support pluggable socket factories for that purpose. If you
implement your own (preconfigured) SSL sockets, you should register a
'new' Protocol for "https". See:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/3.0/apidocs/org/apache/commons/httpclient/protocol/Protocol.html

You may also want to have a look at the SSL Contrib package here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/contrib/org/apache/commons/httpclient/contrib/ssl/