Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jonathan Abbey <jo...@arlut.utexas.edu> on 2003/04/12 03:28:39 UTC

New subversion user report

I just got 0.20.1 installed here on Solaris, and imported the CVS tree
from Ganymede (http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2/) into it.  After six
years of development, we had accumulated a 20 megabyte CVS repository,
which blossomed into a a gigabyte when imported into Subversion.

The nice thing is that cvs2svn did the job fine from the looks of it,
all tags got their own subdirs and svn ls and svn cat works great.

I'm going to have to have a talk with the administrator on our file
server to see whether I can't get some more space allocated for the
disk volume, but apart from the greatly increased size of the
repository and the moderate difficulty of installing, everything looks
great.  I can't wait to put it through its paces a bit.

Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Austin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg

Re: New subversion user report

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>Jonathan Abbey <jo...@arlut.utexas.edu> writes:
>

>>The nice thing is that cvs2svn did the job fine from the looks of it,
>>all tags got their own subdirs and svn ls and svn cat works great.
>>

>Note that those tags are done very inefficiently (way, way too many
>copies).  We're going to disable this part of cvs2svn soon, while we
>work on it.
>
>I don't know if this explains the increased size of your repository.
>IIRC, copies duplicate the space of their topmost node (?), and then
>all nodes under that are shared; but cvs2svn may be making a copy for
>every node in a copied tree.

I think that's what it's doing, yes; lots and lots of unneeded directory
metadata there!

Re: New subversion user report

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jonathan Abbey <jo...@arlut.utexas.edu> writes:
> The nice thing is that cvs2svn did the job fine from the looks of it,
> all tags got their own subdirs and svn ls and svn cat works great.

Note that those tags are done very inefficiently (way, way too many
copies).  We're going to disable this part of cvs2svn soon, while we
work on it.

I don't know if this explains the increased size of your repository.
IIRC, copies duplicate the space of their topmost node (?), and then
all nodes under that are shared; but cvs2svn may be making a copy for
every node in a copied tree.

-K

Re: New subversion user report

Posted by Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net>.
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:21:24PM +0800, Rob Kramer wrote:

> No need, you can kill 95% of that by removing logfiles from your db
> directory.  Use db_archive to see which ones are not used, you can
> kill them. db_archive -a | xargs rm -f (or something, better look it
> up first :)

Seems like a common "optimization" tip, shouldn't is be in the FAQ ?
I could (try to) post a simple patch for it if you think it's worth
it, which I personally do (I have just saved 200 Mo in my repo ..).

But I'm not sure of what exactly are those "old" logs, why they are
there, and why we can almost safely remove them ?

--
Sebastien Cevey <se...@cine7.net>
Cine7.Net  -  Milcis.Net  -  ProgramPlay.Org

" We mortals are but shadows and dust. "
Oliver Reed (Proximo) [ Gladiator ]

Re: New subversion user report

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Jonathan Abbey wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:21:24PM +0800, Rob Kramer wrote:
>| No need, you can kill 95% of that by removing logfiles from your db directory.
>| Use db_archive to see which ones are not used, you can kill them. db_archive
>| -a | xargs rm -f  (or something, better look it up first :)
>
>Ahh.. I had tried to use the svnrecover utility to do clean up on the
>repository, thinking that would get rid of garbage of that kind.
>
>"db_archive -a | xargs rm -f" worked perfectly.  My repository is less
>than 120 megabytes now.  It's not quite a 95% decrease, but I'll
>happily take it. ;-)

A 20MB CVS repository converted to a 120MB Subversion repository?
Somehow I can't believe we're 6x worse than CVS.

Can you give us e bit more detail about the structure of the original
repo? That is, how many files you had in it, what kind of files (text
vs. binary), the directory structure, the number of tags and branches, etc.?

Re: New subversion user report

Posted by Jonathan Abbey <jo...@arlut.utexas.edu>.

Posted by Rob Kramer <ro...@starhub.net.sg>.