Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Andreas Schaefer <sc...@me.com.INVALID> on 2019/06/12 16:26:28 UTC

Sling Feature CP Converter Usage

Hi

For now the Content Package Converter worked for me to get a CP based project converted into a FM based Sling instance.

That said for the future I am wondering where the CP Converter is heading to.
As far as I understand the FM idea is to re-create a Sling instance on every deployment and with it CPs must be converted. In order to make this work the CP Converter should be a Maven Plugin so that it can be added to the build process.

Assuming I have a multi CP project and I want to build a FM based Sling instance. This is what I think needs to happen:

1. Each CP converts itself using the CP converter with a Maven plugin
2. A Sling FM Builder module gathers all the FM models and then builds a Sling instance using the Sling Feature Maven Plugin
3. Build an executable Sling JAR file (like the Sling Starter) which internally launches the Feature Launcher

Questions:

1. Where to place the Feature Models of the converted CPs (local .m2 repo) ?
2. Are there any plans to create an executable JAR file for FM based Sling ?
3. What is the purpose of the generated POM file from the Conversion (different packaging to the CP POM file) ?

Because the build of Sling FM is done on each deployment the conversion must be automated so that Sling is created the same way we do Package  / Bundle deployment now.

Cheers - Andy Schaefer