Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Franz Amador <fg...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/22 18:05:09 UTC

Re: Return type org.apache.tapestry5.json.JSONObject can not be handled

I wondered that also, and I'm waiting on an answer.

Does disabling JavaScript make the Ajax stuff invisible to Tapestry?  If so, it'd be great to have a better error message.

________________________________
Posted by Franz Amador <fg...@yahoo.com>.
>> I wondered that also, and I'm waiting on an answer.
>> Does disabling JavaScript make the Ajax stuff invisible to Tapestry?  If
>> so, it'd be great to have a better error message.

>AJAX is all about using Javascript to update a part of a page without
>refreshing it. ;) Thus, no Javascript, no AJAX.

Yes, I realize that.  What I meant was, rather than just saying "I don't
know what to do with a JSONObject," it would be more helpful to the
developer if it said "You can't return a JSONObject to a non-AJAX request."
The former message leaves me wondering if I've somehow misconfigured
Tapestry.  The latter message gives me a much better clue as to where to
start looking for the problem.

Re: Return type org.apache.tapestry5.json.JSONObject can not be handled

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:05:09 -0300, Franz Amador <fg...@yahoo.com>
escreveu:

> I wondered that also, and I'm waiting on an answer.
> Does disabling JavaScript make the Ajax stuff invisible to Tapestry?  If
> so, it'd be great to have a better error message.

AJAX is all about using Javascript to update a part of a page without
refreshing it. ;) Thus, no Javascript, no AJAX.

You can detect if a request is made through AJAX @Injecting Request is
then invoking request.ixXHR(). Then, all you need is to return a block or
component or some JSON object if the request is AJAX and return null, a
page instance, a page class instance or a page name otherwise.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago