Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/03/06 14:14:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] Thinking of a first release?

Hi all,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to kick of a discussion about releasing.

As one of the major things we have to learn and practice in the incubator is correctly to release software, I would like to discuss with you what you think would be a good line to draw for a first release?

I would suggest that we still should handle the following things:

  *   Test the Beckhoff Driver against some real Beckhoff device.
  *   Implement the S7 PDU Fragmentation feature
  *   (Optional) Implement the simulation of multi-value writes for S7
  *   (Optional) Implement a first version of the Modbus drivers (Serial and TCP)

I do have quit a strong opinion on the first and that we should definitely not release a driver we haven’t tested in the real world and not having implemented the PDU Fragmentation will cause problems with the driver in real world scenarios (more than 15 addresses requested form the plc). We shouldn’t release something that’s not usable. If we can’t support multiple writes, we’re in good company as none of the other options I know support that, so no one will expect it from us. Also I could also live with a non-functional Modbus driver for now, if implementing this takes too long.

You think something is missing or eventually it’s too much? Please feel free to comment ☺

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Thinking of a first release?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
The current use-case would be to replace a protocol adapter with a one-to-one replacement built with plc4x. The companies I talked to would probably request several hundred addresses for each iteration :-( so it's an extremely likely use-case. But also not too hard to implement

Chris

Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen

>  not having implemented the PDU Fragmentation will cause problems with the driver in real world scenarios (more than 15 addresses requested form the plc)

How often would a user run into this in the real world? If that that frequent we may not need it for a 0.1 (or whatever we name it) release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Thinking of a first release?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,