Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carl Olivier <ca...@zero-one.co.za> on 2004/04/07 17:28:18 UTC

TEI Classloading

Hi.

With regards the TEI classloading issue I mentioned in my previous mail
(Issues on Tomcat5.0.19) - I *think* that the engine reports this error -
but in previous versions of Tomcat the exception was not thrown (bubbled to
the top) - blocking the running of ANY JSP page referencing the taglib in
question.  Maybe in Tomcat 5.0.19 this exception should be caught and logged
but not thrown all the way to the top?

Yoav:  To replicate it is easy of course:

Create a custom tag-lib - the tld file and some classes for the tags -
however one or more of your tags MUST have a TEI class in the Tag definition
in the TLD file - but the class file this TEI class entry reference must NOT
exist in the classpath.

This *should* cause ANY page that includes/reference the tag library to
throw an exception about not being able to find the TEI class - running in
Tomcat 5.0.19.

With regards my reasoning - I deployed a site of ours to JBoss (embedding
Tomcat 4.1.29) today - and noticed that the ENGINE component was reporting
the exception about not finding certain TEI classes - however the webapp
deployment worked fine.

Now - I know this is not the error I reported in ym last mail - but it is
related I think.  In my mail I mentioned that on the first request to a site
running on Tomcat 5.0.19 after a restart I SOMETIMES (I would say 30% of the
time) get the same exception - except that the TEI class the exception was
being reported on ACTUALLY DOES exist in the webapp's /WEB-INF/classes path.

It seems that the classloader has not finished loading (is that possible?)
at the time that tomcat tries to compile the JSP (which involves parsing any
custom taglibs the page references).

Unfortunately I have not got an EASY SMALL replication the the instance
where the the class does exists and the exception is thrown - working on it!

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Carl Olivier
Director
tel  +27 21 7955197
fax +27 21 7955212
cell +27 82 7729753

carl@zero-one.co.za
www.zero-one.co.za

developers of the future

01 zero one
Confidentiality agreement:  This email contains information which is the
property of Zero One. The information contained herein is confidential and
may not be disclosed to any parties other than the intended recipient
without the express written consent of Zero One.