Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by CLIVE <cl...@ckjltd.co.uk> on 2013/08/12 23:30:56 UTC

0.22 Cmake build problem

Hi,

As the autotools build functionality is being deprecated, I tried to
build the QPID 0.22 cpp source using the cmake build mechanism today,
but had mixed results. I am building using RHEL5u4 64bit (cmake 2.6
patched 4).

When using Autotools I use the --prefix option on /configure/ as the
built version needs to reside in my companies ClearCase repository and
installing in to the default area(s) is not an option.

Therefore I created a build directory, cd into it and then ran the
following

*cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/vobs/xxx_oss/qpid* ../

Cmake then went off and did its stuff and then I ran /make/ to build the
source. The build worked fine and no errors were reported. Its the
install step that then went wrong. After running /make install/  all the
built cpp components were correctly installed in the directory defined
by the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX macro, but when it came to undertake the
installation of some python components, they ignored the the
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX value and just tried to install the packages in the
default python library directory, which failed as I do not have
privileges to do this.

So the deprecation of the Autotools build would be a bit of a show
stopper for me, as the Cmake installation is not able to replicate the
autotools functionality.

I have undertaken a quick Google and this seems to be a known issue with
the Python module(s) that come with Cmake.

Has anyone come across this, and if so have they managed to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Clive

Re: 0.22 Cmake build problem

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 08/12/2013 10:30 PM, CLIVE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the autotools build functionality is being deprecated, I tried to
> build the QPID 0.22 cpp source using the cmake build mechanism today,
> but had mixed results. I am building using RHEL5u4 64bit (cmake 2.6
> patched 4).
>
> When using Autotools I use the --prefix option on /configure/ as the
> built version needs to reside in my companies ClearCase repository and
> installing in to the default area(s) is not an option.
>
> Therefore I created a build directory, cd into it and then ran the
> following
>
> *cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/vobs/xxx_oss/qpid* ../
>
> Cmake then went off and did its stuff and then I ran /make/ to build the
> source. The build worked fine and no errors were reported. Its the
> install step that then went wrong. After running /make install/  all the
> built cpp components were correctly installed in the directory defined
> by the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX macro, but when it came to undertake the
> installation of some python components, they ignored the the
> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX value and just tried to install the packages in the
> default python library directory, which failed as I do not have
> privileges to do this.
>
> So the deprecation of the Autotools build would be a bit of a show
> stopper for me, as the Cmake installation is not able to replicate the
> autotools functionality.
>
> I have undertaken a quick Google and this seems to be a known issue with
> the Python module(s) that come with Cmake.
>
> Has anyone come across this, and if so have they managed to fix it?

I had the same issue. Apparently its a feature[1] :-)

You can use `make install DESTDIR=/vobs/xxx_oss/qpid` _instead_ of using
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and it should put it all under that including the
any/all of the swig bindings being built.

[1] Something to do with special logic needed to determine the correct
location for e.g. python libraries.