Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2004/03/08 16:33:39 UTC

BBS/forum software

Does anyone have any recommendations for BBS/forum software (aka message
boards) that runs well on mod_perl?  I was looking at YABB, which is
very pretty and full-featured but the code seems really ugly (not a
single "strict" or "package" in it).  The wwwboard script from NMS is
good code but too simple (I need the standard threaded message board
features).  This leaves me with mwForum, which is at least specifically
intended to run under mod_perl, but uses in-line HTML with no templating
system.

Is there something better out there?

- Perrin

Re: BBS/forum software

Posted by Skylos the Doggie <sk...@doglover.com>.
How about IkonBoard?

Skylos

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for BBS/forum software (aka message
> boards) that runs well on mod_perl?  I was looking at YABB, which is
> very pretty and full-featured but the code seems really ugly (not a
> single "strict" or "package" in it).  The wwwboard script from NMS is
> good code but too simple (I need the standard threaded message board
> features).  This leaves me with mwForum, which is at least specifically
> intended to run under mod_perl, but uses in-line HTML with no templating
> system.
>
> Is there something better out there?
>
> - Perrin
>

> --
> Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

- skylos@doglover.com
- The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
  (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
- Dogs like... TRUCKS!  (Nissan commercial, 1996)
- PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc

Re: BBS/forum software

Posted by Colin Murtaugh <cm...@yahoo.com>.
I have some experience using Gossamer Threads Forum:
http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/gforum/index.htm

It's not free, but at $200 it's pretty cheap.  Runs under mod_perl, has
a templating system, and my favorite: it has a plugin architecture that
lets you override just about any of its functions with your own code.
It was easy for us to integrate it with our own user
database/authentication/authorization system without changing the core
code.

--Colin

RE: BBS/forum software

Posted by Clayton Cottingham <dr...@telus.net>.
i like this one, cuz its like the commercial ly available ubb

iirc it run properly under modperl, and it is only 3 perl scripts so.....
http://sourceforge.net/projects/psunami/