Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/08/11 19:09:57 UTC

FW: md5 checksum formats on BSD

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu]
Sent: 11 August 2004 19:06
To: Jakarta General List
Subject: md5 checksum formats on BSD

A subject came up on the Tomcat developers list which we thought should
be shared with the whole community.

Specifically, it was found that BSD's default md5 format is not parsable
by some external programs that clients are using to verify the integrity
of our downloads.

While we thought this not "mission critical", we did think it wise that
we should begin making the following recommendation when creating md5
signatures for files.

We discovered there is a "-r" option which makes BSD md5 generate md5
signature format that is the same as that of GNU's md5sum, a more
prevalent tool for generating checksums of files.

We also found that on BSD, "cksum" is comparable to to GNU's "md5sum
--check" functionality and that it works on both the BSD and GNU file
format.

Our recommendation is that Apache should be signing with the more
prevalent GNU formated output so that other file integrity software
available on platforms other than BSD can verify the file integrity more
easily. This is simply accomplished by adding the -r option

For Example:
%md5 -r foo.bar > foo.bar.md5

We should remember that md5 signatures are for the public to verify the
integrity of our software package distributions. Making sure that
"everyone" can verify our file integrity is probably more important than

maintaining a platform specific format because it is the default for the

OS these were generated on.

-Mark Diggory