Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2007/09/21 18:27:05 UTC

Subversion 1.5 (r26502) - Log Message Bug?

Hi there,

i have downloaded the SVN 1.5 test release to test things.

I have installed the SVN CLI on windows and tested the following:

Created a new repository via "svnadmin create mt"
Configured the repository for "svn://" to simplify setup.
Configured the files conf/svnserve.conf:
  auth-access = write
  password-db = passwd
  authz-db = authz
  realm = My First repository
Configured the file conf/passwd
  [users]
  kama = kama
Configured the file conf/authz
  Added two lines:
  [/]
  kama = rw

Then started "svnserve -d -r C:/testsvn1.5/mt"

Tested the installation with a simple:

  "svn list svn://localhost"
where i have been asked for username and password which i had given and
got an empty list (as expected).

The next step was to import a bunch of files into the new repository:

svn import jagosi.import svn://localhost/jagosi/trunk -m"- First import"

Than i got a bunch of messages (importing the content of the directory)
and at last i got a message "Commited revision 1.".

Than i checked the repos via "svn list svn://localhost" and
"svn list svn://localhost/jagosi" and of course "svn list
svn://localhost/jagosi/trunk" and got the expected output.

The last step i checked was to get the log message:

"svn log svn://localhost" which should print out the log message i gave
on the command line, but i got the following:

r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

I have checked the revision properties in the repository itself and i
found them, but they have not been printed out as i expect.

I have to say that within the repository the db/revs directory has a
subdirectory "0" as well as the db/revsprops.

This seemed to be a bug in the new version.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Subversion 1.5 (r26502) - Log Message Bug?

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 08:27:05PM +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> "svn log svn://localhost" which should print out the log message i gave
> on the command line, but i got the following:

> r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

This is expected behaviour.  Here's what's happening:

Your initial connection to the server is made using an anonymous
connection (the server allows anonymous access, so this is okay).
However, although this anonymous user has read access in theory, the
authz configuration effectively disallows all access to all paths.

'svn list' requires authorisation to access the paths that you're
listing, while 'svn import' requires general write access.  In both
cases, issuing the command results in an immediate prompt for
authorisation, and the command succeeds using the 'kama' user.

'svn log', however, can run with degraded access, and will censor
revisions to which the user has no, or limited, access.  This is the
behaviour you're seeing: the censored results of a user with no access
to the paths modified in the revision.

Your problem is in the svnserve.conf configuration:

>   auth-access = write
>   password-db = passwd
>   authz-db = authz
>   realm = My First repository

You left the default value of 'anon-access' as 'read'; change that to
'none', and all connections will require authorisation.  You'll then get
the correct behaviour from 'log'.

> This seemed to be a bug in the new version.

I was able to get identical results with both trunk and 1.4.2.  It
doesn't look like anything's changed.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Subversion 1.5 (r26502) - Log Message Bug?

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

i have rechecked the scenario with the following change:

I have used:

"svnadmin create --pre-1.5-compatible mt"

but the result was the same.

Than i have dumped the whole repository with "svnadmin dump mt >mt.dump"
(on the windows machine), transfered that file to an Linux machine with
Subversion 1.4.2 on it and created a new repository (svnadmin creat mt)
and imported the dump file into that repository and made the same check:

svn log file:///... and got the expected output with my log message,
date time, author and with the "-v" option i got the changed paths list
as expected.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hello Mark,

thanks for the reply.

>> Configured the file conf/authz
>>   Added two lines:
>>   [/]
>>   kama = rw
>
> The authz does not look right.  I thought it had to be:
>
> [repos:/path]
I have fixed that to:
[mt:/]
kama = rw

>> Then started "svnserve -d -r C:/testsvn1.5/mt"
>
> You should not use -r AND a path to a specific repository.
Yes i know that but i have used this for a long time and it worked, but
i have fixed it to:

"svnserver -d -r C:/testsvn1.5"

>>   "svn list svn://localhost"
"svn list svn://localhost/mt"

>> svn import jagosi.import svn://localhost/jagosi/trunk -m"- First import"
svn import jagosi.import svn://localhost/mt/jagosi/trunk -m"- First import".

>> "svn log svn://localhost" which should print out the log message i gave
svn log svn://localhost/mt

>> r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

The output is exactly the same as before.

>> I have to say that within the repository the db/revs directory has a
>> subdirectory "0" as well as the db/revsprops.
>
> That is the new sharded fsfs format.
Yes i know that. Thanks..

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/07, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> i have downloaded the SVN 1.5 test release to test things.
>
> I have installed the SVN CLI on windows and tested the following:
>
> Created a new repository via "svnadmin create mt"
> Configured the repository for "svn://" to simplify setup.
> Configured the files conf/svnserve.conf:
>   auth-access = write
>   password-db = passwd
>   authz-db = authz
>   realm = My First repository
> Configured the file conf/passwd
>   [users]
>   kama = kama
> Configured the file conf/authz
>   Added two lines:
>   [/]
>   kama = rw

The authz does not look right.  I thought it had to be:

[repos:/path]

> Then started "svnserve -d -r C:/testsvn1.5/mt"

You should not use -r AND a path to a specific repository.

> Tested the installation with a simple:
>
>   "svn list svn://localhost"
> where i have been asked for username and password which i had given and
> got an empty list (as expected).
>
> The next step was to import a bunch of files into the new repository:
>
> svn import jagosi.import svn://localhost/jagosi/trunk -m"- First import"
>
> Than i got a bunch of messages (importing the content of the directory)
> and at last i got a message "Commited revision 1.".
>
> Than i checked the repos via "svn list svn://localhost" and
> "svn list svn://localhost/jagosi" and of course "svn list
> svn://localhost/jagosi/trunk" and got the expected output.
>
> The last step i checked was to get the log message:
>
> "svn log svn://localhost" which should print out the log message i gave
> on the command line, but i got the following:

> r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

> I have checked the revision properties in the repository itself and i
> found them, but they have not been printed out as i expect.
>
> I have to say that within the repository the db/revs directory has a
> subdirectory "0" as well as the db/revsprops.

That is the new sharded fsfs format.

> This seemed to be a bug in the new version.

Try removing the authz configuration.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard