Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Shlomi Hazan <sh...@viber.com> on 2014/11/11 15:24:55 UTC

zookeeper snapshot files eat up disk space

Hi,
My zookeeper 'dataLogDir' is eating up my disk with tons of snapshot files.
what are these files? what files can I delete? are week old files
disposable?
This folder only gets bigger...
How can I avoid blowing my disk?
Thanks,
Shlomi

Re: zookeeper snapshot files eat up disk space

Posted by Ray Rodriguez <ra...@gmail.com>.
There is a sidecar jvm project called exhibitor that manages this for you.  It's from Netflix so it's a bit aws-centric but still a good source for how to manage those log files.  You may also want to look into some zk config settings to make sure your logs are not growing too large by truncating based on space or time.

Posted by Shlomi Hazan <sh...@viber.com>.
That looks like a complete answer.
BUT
just to be sure: it says "Automatic purging of the snapshots and
corresponding transaction logs was introduced in version 3.4.0".
using 0.8.1.1 means that I will have to purge manually, right?
Is there some convention for kafka users? e.g.: delete all but last X=3
maybe?
Shlomi

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.