Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Phillippe Prohoroff <ph...@openwateraquatics.com> on 2007/11/30 01:24:47 UTC

Google Code

Hi,
I am interested in participating in "The Google Highly Open Participation Contest" by working on the issue "Wicket: Create animated launch page for website."  I wanted to ask if I am correct in believing that the purpose of this task is to create a page with the same appearance as http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/animation/animator.html, but having the same content as http://wicket.apache.org/.  Is this correct? Thank You.Phillippe Prohoroff

Re: Google Code

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
No, to split up the task because the whole task seems like too much to
handle in a couple of hours.
Especially if we want cross browser compatibility :)

Martijn

Re: Google Code

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Code

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Just set a cookie, and check for it before starting the animation, and then
display the elements in their final position. Another way would be to
present a link on the page to disable the animation, using a parameter to
the page that can be checked in the javascript.
When someone disabled cookies in the browser, he'll get the animation every
time, but who does that these days?

And yes, I also like the scriptaculous animation, that is why I came up with
Wicket's first attempt. It should be distinctive enough from the
scriptaculous version as to not create too much a "we copied from them".

The tasks for this animation:
1. update the texts and links to point to the correct locations on the new
Wicket site: http://wicket.apache.org
2. make the bouncing logo smaller so it runs better on slow machines
3. tweak the animation to run smoothly in the major browsers: IE6, IE7,
Firefox 2/3 (and Safari?)

Or come up with a proposal for an animation that is less complex but just as
fun and short to not annoy.

Re: Google Code

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
Disclaimer (especially for Phillippe): I'm not a wicket committer, so take
my words for what they are: a single opinion

I'm personally not a big fan of animations, even if I agree that they
improve the sex appeal of the home page the first time you see it.

So I'd rather focus on well presented content and what really attract
newcomers (like a clean layout and content organized by themes, the example
of script.acuo.us is pretty good from this point of view IMHO), and make the
animation short enough to avoid being too annoying in the long term. Another
solution (if possible) would be to have an alternative home page with no
animation for old thinking people like me :-) But if this requires twice the
maintenance effort, this is not a solution. If it can be only a parameter to

Re: Google Code

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

[0] http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/animation/animator.html

Re: Google Code