Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com> on 2018/02/12 19:09:51 UTC

Timeline for 4.0.0 release

It's over 5 months since the POI 3.17 release.
I'm wondering if we should be thinking about about releasing 4.0.0.
Is there anything that is in progress that we should consider waiting for?

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

RE: Timeline for 4.0.0 release

Posted by "Murphy, Mark" <mu...@metalexmfg.com>.
I know we said that 4.0.0 will start using semantic versioning, but we never really discussed release schedules. It was mentioned, but no one ever said yea or nay. Are we all still trying to digest what semantic versioning means to POI? This still has a feeling of flying by the seat of our pants.

As I see it there are a few options:
1. Use semver project wide with a single version number, with minor releases whenever we feel it is necessary, and major releases whenever we feel it is necessary to break compatibility for something. Break fix support only for current release.

2. Use semver project in a scheduled manner with predictable periodic minor and major releases. Support for current release only.

3. Same as #2 with additional bug fix support for a predictable long term support release.

4. Repackage to CORE, SS, WP, etc with each package having an independent beta version number until it is deemed stable (for now I would call CORE and SS stable, and everything else beta). Then use option 1, 2, or 3 above.

I personally would prefer #4 with option 1 or 3. Shifting to POI 4.0 will signal that we are doing something different, and would be easier to sell, but more work to complete. Or maybe 4.0 is the shift to semver, and 5.0 could be repackaging if we want to go down that path, but the reason for repackaging in this way is to allow for drawing and WP and Visio API's to remain designated as beta and thus allow breaking changes until we get to a stable state. It would also give us a built in way to add more pieces if desired and not have the user confuse a new package as stable because it has a stable version number. The reason to repackage now rather than wait till a future major release is that some packages would shift from stable to beta version numbers. I see that as potentially confusing.

Re: Timeline for 4.0.0 release

Posted by Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ <AB...@FOR-Scala.IT>.
Hi all,

There is one branch that I would like to finish before release 4.0.0 since it would make the implementation of XDDF more sound. But as these are on the @Beta side, I can understand it is no blocker.

https://github.com/cuali/poi/branches

Best regards,
Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ

⁣

Re: Timeline for 4.0.0 release

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
The only thing that comes to my mind is the updated XmlBeans release which
I would love to resolve for 4.0.0. Unfortunately I can't spend enough time
on POI lately to make progress on this topic :( Anybody else who wants to
take it up?

Thanks... Dominik.