Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Eric Le Goff <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/26 17:51:58 UTC

Synapse SOAP implementation

Before I start using Synapse, I would to know if the project is just
"bundled with" or "standing on top of" Axis2.
What if for example, I wanted to swap from Axis2 to another SOAP
implementation ?

Is it technically possible with a minimum effort / possible but very
cumbersome/ or simply not designed to use anything else but Axis ?

>From all the samples I have seen so far, only Axis is used. Not that I
don't want to use it, but I would like the project to be flexible
enough to handle other implementations

Thanks.

--
Eric Le Goff

Re: Synapse SOAP implementation

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Eric

While we did put an isolation layer between Synapse and Axis2 I think it
might be hard work to replace Axis2 to the extent that you also supported
things such as RM, WSSec that are built into Synapse via Axis2. One
committer has replaced the underlying Axis2 engine with a messaging engine
based on QPid, but of course there were no web services with that - only
AMQP.

Effectively although there is an isolation layer/interface, over time we
have blurred that boundary as there was only ever one implementation of the
interface.

I guess I'm wondering what the benefit to a user would be to swap out Axis2?
One aim of Synapse is to support Web Services and other protocols without
coding. And of course the SOAP/WS-* protocols are designed to interoperate.
So effectively the Axis2-ness of Synapse is "black-boxed" at each end. Of
course if there is an interop problem with Axis2 then we would be very keen
to fix it.

If you wish to start a technical discussion on making the interface with
Axis2 more pluggable we'd welcome the input over on
Synapse-dev@ws.apache.org.

Best,

Paul

On Nov 26, 2007 4:51 PM, Eric Le Goff <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before I start using Synapse, I would to know if the project is just
> "bundled with" or "standing on top of" Axis2.
> What if for example, I wanted to swap from Axis2 to another SOAP
> implementation ?
>
> Is it technically possible with a minimum effort / possible but very
> cumbersome/ or simply not designed to use anything else but Axis ?
>
> From all the samples I have seen so far, only Axis is used. Not that I
> don't want to use it, but I would like the project to be flexible
> enough to handle other implementations
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Eric Le Goff