Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Venkat Rangan <ve...@clearwellsystems.com> on 2009/03/23 20:31:53 UTC

Lucene 2.2.0 in 64-bit JVM: IndexReader is hung

Hi,

We have an application using Lucene 2.2.0 running in a Sun HotSpot JVM,
with JDK 1.6.0. We have had no problems with it in the 32-bit version of
the JVM. We recently upgraded to 64-bit JVM and occasionally, we are
observing a hang. In particular, the stack trace looks like this - the
RandomAccessFile.read() does not return ever - multiple stack traces are
hung on this, pointing to no bytes available to read for specific hits
returned by the searcher. We are aware of issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1262 which has a similar
stack trace. Is this a known problem or issue?

java.lang.Throwable

            at java.io.RandomAccessFile.readBytes(Native Method)

            at java.io.RandomAccessFile.read(RandomAccessFile.java:322)

            at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.readInternal(FSDirector
y.java:550)

            at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readBytes(BufferedIndexInput.
java:122)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSIndexInput.readInternal(Com
poundFileReader.java:240)

            at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.refill(BufferedIndexInput.jav
a:143)

            at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readByte(BufferedIndexInput.j
ava:38)

            at
org.apache.lucene.store.IndexInput.readChars(IndexInput.java:107)

            at
org.apache.lucene.store.IndexInput.readString(IndexInput.java:93)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.addField(FieldsReader.java:253)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.doc(FieldsReader.java:121)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.document(SegmentReader.java:346)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.MultiReader.document(MultiReader.java:117)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.MultiReader.document(MultiReader.java:106)

            at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.document(IndexReader.java:437)

The call is something like:

              try {

                  IndexReader indexReader = getLuIndexReader();

                  if (indexReader.isDeleted(docId) || docId >=
indexReader.maxDoc())

                        return null;

                  lu_Document = lu_indexReader.document(docId);

                  return lu_Document;

              } catch (IOException e) {

  }

Thanks,

-venkat

Re: Lucene 2.2.0 in 64-bit JVM: IndexReader is hung

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Still, it's good to raise such issues here, and track them with Jira.
Even if it's not a Lucene issue, it'd be great to help Sun fix the JRE
issue.  It's possible to reduce the Lucene case down to a simpler test
case to give to Sun.  This is what happened with LUCENE-1282, which
resulted in Sun finally fixing the JRE bug.

There are various other "must be JRE/OS bug" issues...eg LUCENE-1342
(segv in older versions of Lucene on a 64 bit JRE) which is still open
and LUCENE-1566 (getting a false OOME on a large index while reading
norms).

Your situation sounds different from all of these... so could you
please open a Jira issue and post as many details as possible,
including a full stack trace of all threads (not just the hung ones)?

I think the similarity of the stack trace in LUCENE-1262 is
coincidental: it's just that you're also reading stored fields when
the hang hits.

Mike

Posted by Venkat Rangan <ve...@clearwellsystems.com>.
Yonik,