Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk> on 2001/03/12 16:06:34 UTC

[Proposal] Changes to james.conf.xml

A lot of users seem to find the james.conf.xml / assembly.xml file
confusing - see repeated questions about Remote Manger logins.
I propose we give full defaults in the conf file, specifically:
default dns server: 127.0.0.1
default root password: root
We can then shorten the README section at the head of the file and add
Check! or Change This! tags, probably left margin aligned so they stand
out, at appropriate places in the body of the conf.

I know we had reservations about default passwords, but I think it is
better to get new users in with an easy-to-use deployment. Someone could
always add a check in RemoteManager to force a change of password from
the default.

If there are no objections, I'll do this sometime this week.
I'll also finish Matt Pangaro's patch.

Regards,

Charles