Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/15 22:43:10 UTC

From Tomcat to Geronimo with tomcat

Hello all:
I am looking at the options I have to use geronimo for some J2EE apps.

Currently we are running regular web applications on tomcat. I want to use geronimo as a tomcat
replacement. Modifiying the existing applications to deploy on geronimo is a path
that I like to avoid. I have few ideas, and I hope one of them would
work.

1- deploy the existing applications to geronimo without using deploy plan (some
    of them contains security realm "jetspeed is one of them"). Is this
    possible ?

2- Use the existing tomcat instance for geronimo. If what I am thinking
    about is possible, I don't have to modify the existing tomcat, just configure
    geronimo to use it (too good to be true !).

The final result wold allow me to run webapp only on tomcat, and I can
deploy j2ee apps through G2.2 deploy command.

Any ideas ?

Re: From Tomcat to Geronimo with tomcat

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 15, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:

> Hello all:
> I am looking at the options I have to use geronimo for some J2EE apps.
>
> Currently we are running regular web applications on tomcat. I want to use geronimo as a tomcat
> replacement. Modifiying the existing applications to deploy on geronimo is a path
> that I like to avoid. I have few ideas, and I hope one of them would
> work.
>
> 1- deploy the existing applications to geronimo without using deploy plan (some
>    of them contains security realm "jetspeed is one of them"). Is this
>    possible ?

No. You'll need a deployment plan, if you need to map security roles, database resources, etc.

> 2- Use the existing tomcat instance for geronimo. If what I am thinking
>    about is possible, I don't have to modify the existing tomcat, just configure
>    geronimo to use it (too good to be true !).

Sorry, no. ;-)

> The final result wold allow me to run webapp only on tomcat, and I can
> deploy j2ee apps through G2.2 deploy command.
>
> Any ideas ?

FYI, there is a minimal assembly of Geronimo (which only contains web app functionality). Or you can generate a custom assembly from a full server. Regardless, except for simple applications, you'll need a deployment plan.

--kevan