Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by medips <me...@mac.com> on 2007/05/30 22:59:02 UTC

Java Persistence API and o/r mapping metadata in JEE5 versus Cayenne?

I'm a newbie in JEE5 and Cayenne but developed with WebObjects from
2002 to 2005.
At first by reading the Java EE 5 Tutorial it appears that using
annotations and other facilities it is easy to set up the object/
relational mapping in JEE5. So I would get a better picture to
compare Cayenne with the standard JEE5 technology (which includes the
Persistence API, the query language, Object/relational mapping
metadata). Is Cayenne another way to do the mapping? Is the existance
of Cayenne due to the lack of the current JEE5 facilities at start of
the Cayenne project? What are the advantages and disadvantages of
both methods?
Thanks to all the experts of both approaches!

Re: Java Persistence API and o/r mapping metadata in JEE5 versus Cayenne?

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
I'm not familiar with the JPA stuff yet, but Cayenne pre-dates JPA by many
years.  Since you are familiar with WebObjects, you would most likely find
Cayenne (at least without the JPA extensions) very familiar, since it is
quite a bit like EOF.  Some things Cayenne does better than EOF, and some
things are not quite as good as EOF yet -- such as multiple table
inheritance, although there is a HUGE discussion on the developer list right
now about how to implement it.  Cayenne even has features EOF lacks, such as
the Remote Object Persistence and data object synchronization via Remote
Change Notification.

/dev/mrg