Posted to user@ant.apache.org by I am Who i am <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/23 00:57:42 UTC

Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation

Hi All,

I have a very big build.xml, and i want to create a doucmentation for it, is
there any tool for it,

I found one called antDoc but couldn't make it work, ant its not seems to be
being updated,

Any ideas?

Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dave Pawson wrote:
>

> > It would help if ant were namespace aware, then additional documentation
> > could be added in another namespace.
> >

>  Ant is namespace aware, it merely chooses not to ignore content in other
> namespaces, as it assumes they are tasks declared into a different
> namespace.

There was some debate about this when NameSpace awareness was added to
Ant in 1.6.*.

Peter

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dave Pawson wrote:
>
> > On 23/04/2008, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > >  Ant is namespace aware, it merely chooses not to ignore content in
> other
> > > namespaces, as it assumes they are tasks declared into a different
> > > namespace.
> > >

> > Kind of against the idea of namespace aware apps?
> > If you don't have a use for namespace X, ignore it.
> >

>  well, it depends on what you want from a namespaced app. And more
> importantly, what you mean by "understand". I have been in way too many
> discussions on the exact semantics of soap's "mustUnderstand" attribute on
> soap headers to believe that there is any single right answer here.
>
>  For ant, how do we distinguish between "task in wrong namespace" from
> "undefined task in a namespace" from "namespace we are meant to ignore".
> Without an explicit <ignorenamespace> operation, we can't.

IMO ant should by default ignore elements from namespaces not prefixed
by "antlib:", unless there is an explicit *def.

Peter

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 23/04/2008, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Kind of against the idea of namespace aware apps?
> > If you don't have a use for namespace X, ignore it.
> >

>  well, it depends on what you want from a namespaced app. And more
> importantly, what you mean by "understand". I have been in way too many
> discussions on the exact semantics of soap's "mustUnderstand" attribute on
> soap headers to believe that there is any single right answer here.

I'd ignore soap (and others in the ws* stack) for ns usage.
XSLT makes a cleaner example, as does relax NG.

>  For ant, how do we distinguish between "task in wrong namespace" from
> "undefined task in a namespace" from "namespace we are meant to ignore".
> Without an explicit <ignorenamespace> operation, we can't.

Ant tasks take the default (null) namespace, as the precursor,
or put ant into its own namespace.

An added benefit would be other tasks, in other namespaces,
as possible experimental extensions.

>  Well,
>  1. they are free to embed bits of ant in their XML and push it out later
>  2. If you want to write an <ignorenamespace> task, with tests, we could
> always add it.

Not a facet of XML to my knowledge. Ant uses XML
(quite well from what I've used!)

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 23/04/2008, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>  Ant is namespace aware, it merely chooses not to ignore content in other
> namespaces, as it assumes they are tasks declared into a different
> namespace.

Kind of against the idea of namespace aware apps?
If you don't have a use for namespace X, ignore it.

>  Consider this, then, my gift to you:
>
>  <presetdef name="description" uri="http://www.dpawson.co.uk#ns" >
>         <echo level="debug" />
>  </presetdef>
>
>  you now get a description
>  <d:description>Main variable set</d:description>
>
>  which gets printed when you run
>  ant -debug

Nice. For debug. Thanks.

Not for other namespaced applications working on ant build files.
Documentation seems like a good use case.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charbel BITAR <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Give Ant Pretty Build a try...
http://antprettybuild.sourceforge.net

HTH
--
Charbel

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <fl...@mindspring.com>.
I have an XSLT that will convert Ant scripts to HTML...  It can be found
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Or I can send it to you directly...

--
Scot P. Floess