Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2003/06/20 08:13:22 UTC

Upgrading Java

I am wanting to upgrade my Java version from 1.3 to 1.4
in order to keep pace with new software that needs it
- however, I have the '1.3 compatible' version of Cocoon
installed.  Are then any "issues" in putting in the 1.4 version
of Cocoon... can I just overwrite all the jars in the library
and restart Tomcat - or is there some obscure and mystical
procedure one has to follow?

(I dont want to just overwrite my complete Cocoon installation
as I have modified files in various places.....)

Thanks.

believed to be clean.

Re: Upgrading Java

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
AFAIK the only areas where you are likely to have problems are:

1) XML/Xalan/Xerces files that are also in Java 1.4 (see 'endorsed libs problem' on
Wiki)
2) JDBC changed from 1.3 to 1.4, so I think there are changes in terms of how that is
handled. But you can probably work around that by replacing the excalibur-
datasource jar with the new one.

You shouldn't need to recompile anything.

That _should_ be it. Others may choose to correct me.

I suggest you take a copy of your Cocoon installation and give it a go. (I'm regularly
switching between 1.3 and 1.4 on the HEAD branch, and don't have 'too much'
trouble with it).

Regards, Upayavira