Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jonathan Carlson <jc...@is.com> on 2000/11/01 20:28:07 UTC

subject line vote

Brian at postmaster@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
understandably wants there to be a vote on whether to programmatically add
[ant-user] to the subject line of each message.  I'm kind of new to this so
I don't know who does the tallying.  I'll assume there is someone who runs
this list that tally's stuff like this.

+1

Jonathan Carlson,  Software Developer
jcarlson@is.com

Such ever was loves way: to rise, it stoops.
     - Robert Browning

Re: subject line vote

Posted by Ringo De Smet <Ri...@bigfoot.com>.
> 1) Is unnecessary as there are several ways to filter in almost any
> MUA that don't require rewriting the subject line.

I agree completely.

> 4) leads to
>
> [ant-user] SV: [ant-user] AW: [ant-user] Re: original subject
>
> because no mailing list managment software is smart enough to cope
> with all ways MUAs say they reply to something ("Re:" is the RFC
> choice but each nationalized version of MS products has its own
> prefix - with different capitalization depending on version or users
> taste or the phase of the moon ...)

I dislike all the added stuff to subject lines. My mail filter is set
on 'To:/CC: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org' in KMail. When I have my
message list of the Ant mail folder, I know every message in there has
Ant as the subject. Why add [ant-uer] to the subject line. This wastes
precious space in the subject column of the message list.

My vote:

-1

Ringo
--
**  Ringo De Smet         Ringo.DeSmet AT bigfoot.com  **

Re: subject line vote

Posted by Jon Schewe <jp...@eggplant.mtu.net>.
I'd go either way, I just want to speak to a couple of Stefan's points.

Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de> writes:

> I've been told that my vote is void unless I give a rationale for it
> (thanks Conor).
>
> OK, A prefix on the subject line
>
> 1) Is unnecessary as there are several ways to filter in almost any
> MUA that don't require rewriting the subject line.

Yes, I can filter the list either way, just look at the devlivered-to or to/cc.

> 3) Is bad style

Not sure how it's bad style, but I'm open to reasoning.

> 4) leads to
>
> [ant-user] SV: [ant-user] AW: [ant-user] Re: original subject
>
> because no mailing list managment software is smart enough to cope
> with all ways MUAs say they reply to something ("Re:" is the RFC
> choice but each nationalized version of MS products has its own prefix
> - with different capitalization depending on version or users taste or
> the phase of the moon ...)

This can sometimes cause problems, but I've not seen many of these problems on
my other lists that have modified subject lines like this.  I believe the list
management software is ezlm.

> 5) breaks threading as long as MUAs don't use the References-Header
> for mails as well.

Some lists that I'm on use [<listname>] and it works just fine.  I've never
had any threading problems with this either, I'm using gnus others on the list
also run mutt and pine and don't have any threading problems as well.

--
Jon Schewe | http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe
NOTE: My first name has no 'h' in it!  Please be observant.

subject line vote -1 from me, dont bother reading

Posted by Stuart Halloway <st...@develop.com>.
I agree with Stefan, and BTW this list has the most useful subject lines of
any list I follow.  I appreciate everyone's good netiquette (compare with
the Sun Java lists sometime, ugh).

Stuart Halloway
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/halloway