Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/09/03 11:51:50 UTC

[HELP] building docs in excalibur doesn't work

Hi,

I'm just experiencing a strange problem. I try to build the docs
for excalibur/store and only the first two documents are generated.
The book.xml looks like this:

  <menu label="About">
    <menu-item href="index.html" label="Overview"/>
    <menu-item href="mrustore.html" label="MRU Store"/>
    <menu-item href="storejanitor.html" label="Janitor"/>
  </menu>

and only index.html and mrustore.html are build without any exceptions
or errors or broken link reports. If I exchange the last two entries,
then index.html and storejanitor.html is build without problems.
But again the third entry not.

Putting a link in index.html to storejanitor.html doesn't help either. Hmm.

PS: I tried latest forrest as well as the latested tagged stable version.

Carsten

Re: [HELP] building docs in excalibur doesn't work

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>Carsten:
>
> I thought the build system we use in excalibur is currently still ant
> and maven is only experimental.

The experimental maven build system in excalibur sucks bigtime. Don't
touch it. (I'm allowed to say that because it was all my fault.) The
not-so-experimental system in the avalon cvs sucks slightly less but is
way too complex for what it accomplishes.

The stuff Steve pointed at is far from experimental. Maven itself is
pretty usable, and for big repositories with many subprojects as well.
Once you figure out how.

> Can I build the dist with maven?

Not at the moment.

To migrate to maven, you would need to

- write a project.xml file (which is easily done using copy-paste and a
quick glance at the maven docs)
- change the xdocs files by hand into maven/anakia format
- write an ant buildfile for gump integration by hand (the maven goal
named 'ant' which does this for you automatically is not really suitable
for gump integration); reusing
~/avalon/buildsystem/maven-common-gump-build.xml if you want and
copy-pasting from ~/avalon/framework/build.xml.
- maybe update the gump descriptor for the avalon-excalibur module to
reflect the changed situation (like changing the ant target the gump
descriptor references)

what Steve and I have been at as well is doing a little more, namely
generating a seperate 'api' jar and an 'impl' jar. To do that you'd need
to actually split up the project into two (store/api and store/impl, for
example). A good example lives in avalon-sandbox/framework; another one
(that also generates combined jars and the like) is in experimental mode
@
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/

the first time you go through all that, it takes you maybe 2 hours to
get it all right and figured out for a particular component. The tenth
time, about 15 minutes.

hope that makes things more clear!

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [HELP] building docs in excalibur doesn't work

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
> I give up (for now). It totally fails to make sense.

I went as far as to run the entire thing in a debugger. IMO, debugging
cocoon is near impossible. Can't find the bug. I have now invested more
time trying to fix this than it would take to make things work with
maven. :/

- LSD

RE: [HELP] building docs in excalibur doesn't work

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
> > still digging...
>
> I give up (for now). It totally fails to make sense.
>
> The only workaround I can figure out right now is to
>
> cd ~/cvs/
> cvs co -D '19022003' xml-forrest
> cd xml-forrest
> ant dist
> export FORREST_HOME=`pwd`/build/dist/shbat/bin
> cd ../avalon-excalibur/store
> ant docs
>
> which works on my end.

Ok, thanks for the help!

As I'm going on vacation tomorrow I will try it when I come back in
three weeks.

Thanks

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>
>>> Migration isn't hard.  You just need to convert the existing forrest
>>> docs to maven xdocs.  For small documetation its easy to by hand -
>>> doesn't take more than a few minutes.
>>
>> indeed. To do it for lots of stuff takes too long. Looking at our
>> website, we have lots of stuff :D
>
> All of the framework docs are done, corenerstone is done, merlin and
> meta are done, as is excalibur configuration.  What are the big chunks
> that your thinking of.

Was thinking of the stuff in avalon-site. Like "Developing with Avalon".
All of excalibur+fortress also adds up to a sizeable amount.

cheers!

- LSD

Re: [HELP] building docs in excalibur doesn't work

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Migration isn't hard.  You just need to convert the existing forrest
>> docs to maven xdocs.  For small documetation its easy to by hand -
>> doesn't take more than a few minutes.
>

> indeed. To do it for lots of stuff takes too long. Looking at our
> website, we have lots of stuff :D

All of the framework docs are done, corenerstone is done, merlin and
meta are done, as is excalibur configuration.  What are the big chunks
that your thinking of.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: [HELP] building docs in excalibur doesn't work

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Have you considered migrating to maven and using the site generation
>> facilities it provides?
>

> FYI: migrating from forrest -> maven-style xdoc can be quite a bit of
> handwork (maven doesn't support the forrest document dtds). Migrating
> from forrest -> maven-forrest-plugin won't solve this problem.

Migration isn't hard.  You just need to convert the existing forrest
docs to maven xdocs.  For small documetation its easy to by hand -
doesn't take more than a few minutes.  You end up with a documetation
set that you don't need to think about to generate and no additional
tools overhead.

Steve.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> weird. With the copy I use (grabbed from cvs on 19022003) it works
> normally. With the latest forrest from cvs, I get the same problem. Just
> to be clear, you've got a dir structure like:
>
> ./avalon
> ./avalon-site
> ./avalon-excalibur
>
> and you do
>
> cd ./avalon-excalibur/store
> ant docs
>
> and your ouput contains something like:
>
>       [java] Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
>       [java]  * [8] index.html
>       [java]  * [0] skin/tigris.css
>       [java]  * [0] skin/mysite.css
>       [java]  * [0] skin/site.css
>       [java]  * [0] skin/print.css
>       [java]  * [0] images/group-logo.gif
>       [java]  * [0] images/project-logo.gif
>       [java]  * [8] mrustore.html
>       [java]  * [8] storejanitor.html
>
> except for that last line, which should be there but isn't.

Yepp, exactly :(

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Carsten:
>>
>>Have you considered migrating to maven and using the site generation
>>facilities it provides?
>>

>I thought the build system we use in excalibur is currently still ant
>and maven is only experimental.

There is some experimental content floating around but examples in
cornerstone, meta, merlin, excalibur configuration, sandbox framework -
these are all working fine.  I would not recommend looking too deeply
into meta or merlin (a little complex), but sandbox/framework is looking
rather good.

>Can I build the dist with maven?

Sure - take a look at the sandbox/framework package (avalon framework
build using maven).  If you delete all of the java sources you basically
have a reasonably good template for a new project (just need to update
the project name and id and a couple of other parameters are your on
your way).

To get a feel for things just do the following:

  $ cd avalon-sandbox\framework
  $ maven avalon:dist

Then checkout the artifacts in the generated .\target directory.
It's a really simple setup - build, consolidated javadoc, site
generation, and distribution build with seperate api and impl jar
files.  In addition, the doc would provide a perfect template for the
projects your working on.

If you need and help don't hesitate to yell!

Steve.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Carsten:

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 03 September 2003 17:51, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> PS: I tried latest forrest as well as the latested tagged stable version.

I am also facing a LOT of intermittent problems with Forrest. Unlike you, I
only run "latest" CVS version... I speculate that there is some thread-safety
issues in some component deep inside Cocoon, but have no clue how to chase
this down.

Niclas