Posted to general@attic.apache.org by Chris Brandom <ch...@elyxor.com> on 2018/06/11 21:07:40 UTC

Forking wink-json4j

Hi,

I work for a small software consulting company named Elyxor.  During a
previous engagement, we used the wink-json4j library as a utility for
producing ordered JSON.

Since the Wink project is now in the Apache attic, we are considering
forking the wink-json4j module and republishing with our updates to make
it compatible with a more recent version of Java.

Outside of the licensing guidelines, which are accessible and clearly
stated, are the any other guidelines or good practice recommendations
that we should follow?  Anything in particular about how we go about
giving the module a new namespace or new name?

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris

Re: Forking wink-json4j

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 June 2018 at 22:07, Chris Brandom <ch...@elyxor.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work for a small software consulting company named Elyxor.  During a
> previous engagement, we used the wink-json4j library as a utility for
> producing ordered JSON.
>
> Since the Wink project is now in the Apache attic, we are considering
> forking the wink-json4j module and republishing with our updates to make it
> compatible with a more recent version of Java.
>
> Outside of the licensing guidelines, which are accessible and clearly
> stated, are the any other guidelines or good practice recommendations that
> we should follow?  Anything in particular about how we go about giving the
> module a new namespace or new name?

My opinion regarding namespace:

Just as the ASF only publishes software using the namespaces it owns,
so should you.
This means changing both the Maven coordinates (at least the groupId)
and the Java package names to ones which you control.