Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Shyam Sarkar <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2009/03/07 15:08:40 UTC

TIMESTAMP type

Hello,

I inspected the grammar Hive.g and decided to create a new type for TIMESTAMP. TIMESTAMP is not a primitive type or list type or map type. It is a timestamp type of the form TIMESTAMP(YYYYMMDDHHMMSS) which is different from other types.

Please let me know if there is any other suggestions.

Thanks,
shyam_sarkar@yahoo.com

Re: TIMESTAMP type

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
HI Shyam,

Conforming to the standard (like the MySQL 6.0 TIMESTAMP specification) is
definitely the ultimate goal we want to achieve.
Go ahead with the design and let us know when you have something ready for
review.

My previous point was basically that it might be much easier to add support
for TIMESTAMP using UDFs. Of course that is more like a short-term plan.
In the longer term we definitely need something like what you suggested.

Zheng

--
Yours,
Zheng